Skip to main content

20 Random Facts

As I typed in the title of this blog and listened to the thunder rolling in I thought, "How the heck am I going to come up with 20 random facts about myself?" Ever since I wrote the post yesterday I've been trying to think of random facts that I can tell all y'all about. I came up with three, then gave up and decided to just write them down as they come. A stream of consciousness if you will. I will let the weather inspire me for the first random fact.

1. I love thunderstorms. Can't get enough of them...I love watching their power and hearing (and sometimes feeling) the sounds. Rob and I watched many storms last summer from our apartment.

2. When I was in grade 4 (I think it was grade 4) my friends and I were doing what we deemed the "duck walk", in this particular stance your arms are not very free. I tripped over my own feet (which was easy 'cause they were huge) and broke one of my front teeth.

3. I have funny markings on my front teeth because of that fateful duck walking day and because I had high fevers as a child and they discoloured my teeth.

4. My first crush was on a boy named Sam, he was also my first kiss. He chased me down at a Square Dance our church was having, and then he left for the USA and left me broken hearted. (Kidding) By first kiss I mean he smooshed his lips against mine very quickly and he didn't quite hit his target and hit my cheek instead.

5. I think that I was supposed to be born in the southern states. Hence the fact that I sometimes break out in a southern accent and find southern accents attractive. Apparently most people don't find them attractive? I don't understand why. For a while I thought I would marry a cowboy...but then I found someone better.

6. I've watched The Princess Bride over 20 times, as well as Grease.

7. I enjoy corny musicals. High School Musical (1,2 and 3), Grease, Cry Baby, Bride and Prejudice. I also enjoy a good musical. Singing in the Rain and Fiddler on the Roof are two of my favourites.

8. My mother tells me that in Kindergarten I used to tell my teacher that I would "help her with the little kids".

9. When I'm hyper I have the habit of humming crazy tunes and dancing stupidly, this also just happens if I'm just happy.

10. A science project in grade 12 got me into baking. Thanks Mr. Kooney (I think that's how you spell it)! Without him I never would have found the triple chocolate chip cookies that I often crave and almost never make.

11. I grew up hating girly colours and things. From around the age 10-18 I refused to wear purple or pink. Until at some point I decided I loved purple...though I still have a huge aversion to all things pink. Keep this in mind if I ever have a baby girl...no pink. But purple is fine.

12. I gave my life to Jesus when I was six at a Billy Graham Crusade. The only thing I remember from that night is my mom crouching beside me with her arms around me and knowing that I was making a good decision.

13. I wish I kept playing my flute, or that I took up another instrument along the way. Or at least kept up my ability to sight read music.

14. Waterfalls, thunderstorms and night skies remind me of God. They are also my three most favourite things in nature, can't get enough of them.

15. When my friends and I played school we went all out. We had lesson plans, report cards, folders for each child, tests, letters home to parents...the whole deal. It was fun. For years I wanted to be a teacher, sometimes the desire creeps up on me again.

16. Rob says I'm a perfectionist. I don't think I am because in my mind perfectionists get 95-100% on everything. That is not me. I almost failed grade 9 math. I think my teacher pitied me and passed me anyway even though I potentially shouldn't have.

17. I cannot answer math questions on the spot, even simple addition. If someone points a finger at me and says "9+5 is?" I freeze and want to cry and my heart beats fast. But I have no problem jumping off a really high cliff into water, and would love to go sky diving and bungee jumping. But Math makes me want to cry.

18. Growing up my brother was probably my best friend...I still consider him to be one of my closest friends even if it's not mutual.

19. If I pick up a good book I have an incredibly hard time putting it down. Hence the fact that when my brother bought me the last Harry Potter book and put it outside my room in the morning I did not stop reading it all day and read late into the night, 4:00 a.m., before putting it down because I couldn't finish it. Maybe this is more a point about my impatience...

20. Someday I want to own a farm. Preferably a hobby farm or a ranch that has a horse stable.

Hurray!! That was harder than I thought it would be. Hopefully you learned something new! Tomorrow is: Describe 3 Legitimate Fears You Have (And how you developed them). Perhaps I can tell you how I ended up being legitimately afraid of math...;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 6- Passages that have Impacted/Encouraged Me

 I have to try really hard not to begin these posts with "so". Apparently, that is my go to starter word...which is odd but true. I skipped yesterday due to the cold that was taking each member of our house captive one by one. Why is it never all at once? Sometimes this feels it would be easier than this long, drawn out affair we have been experiencing. Our youngest has had a fever for the past two days and while at first she handled it like a champ she, like all of us, only had so much to give before she just decided the whole being sick things sucks and is no over it. Anyway, I skipped yesterday and considered skipping today as well but then I felt like I wasn't really challenging myself then. So this might be another lighter post but the point was for me to write every day not write something groundbreaking every day (or ever!). So, when I looked at my list of things one that stuck out to me was Bible verses that have impacted me. I think that even if you aren't a

Starting Again

 Here we go again. I've decided (once again) that I really need and want to start writing again. How is this going to happen with one kid that won't leave my side and another that is pretty indifferent to sleep? I'm not sure but I'm going to try. I'm never entirely sure where to start when I start writing again. Do I follow prompts? Just write whatever the heck I want? A combination of the two? I've considered starting writing again without any connection to who I am...to allow myself to write more freely. Right now that thought is still on the table to be honest. I think the greater growing experience for me, however, would be to put myself in a situation where I journey let go of the pressure and expectations I put on myself for my writing to be something "spectacular" and to just write. Basically, I think what I'm going to do is an advent calendar of writing. Leading up to Christmas, for 25 days, I'm going to commit to writing something. It

My heart

I’ve been having a blast writing these blogs recently. I hope the 10 or so of you who read them are also having a blast reading them. :P  I had forgotten how much joy I get out of writing, for years it has been the way that I connected to God best, and also for a year or so it’s something I’ve stayed away from, for a variety of reasons. But that’s a blog post for another time, maybe tomorrow? ;) Or perhaps when I feel that’s the direction God is guiding my typing fingers.  My spiritual director and I were talking the other week about “Kairos” moments, which means in ancient Greek, loosely translated, a right or opportune moment. Or in the context her and I were talking about, the way that we best connect with God. So, in a sense, the opportune moments for us to connect with God. Make sense? When she asked what my kairos moment(s) was/were I didn’t have to think twice.  Being with people, encouraging people, really TALKING with people, asking the “How’s your heart?” questi