Skip to main content

5 Passions I Have

Wow, what a crazy week this week (but awesome).

I got back from work today at 8:30 which will be my normal Thursday night arrival time during the summer. I had subway for dinner at 9...I love vegetables.

 I realize today is Wednesday but for the first two weeks our late nights are Wednesday and for the rest of the summer it's Thursday.

We (as in the "youth" and staff/volunteers) went to McClellan Park this evening and it's my new favourite place.

It's awesome.

That's all.

OK, since you begged me I'll tell you why it's so awesome. 1) It has an awesome park, it's big and has a lot of sweet play structures and some semi dangerous play structures...which I've missed. :) 2) It has an amazing FREE splash pad, with a lot of different water sprayers everywhere. It was NUTS this afternoon because of the above 30 degree weather, but the kids still thought it was awesome. 3) There's lots of green space! 4) There's bathrooms! 5) There is also a skate park and a bike park with sweet jumps and stuff.

That is why I love McClellan Park. Thank-you job for teaching me awesome places to take my non-existent young children. :)

OK now for 5 passions I have:

1) Children, I love children/youth. They make me laugh, they make me smile, they make me want to scream. But I love them. I love talking with them and encouraging them and loving them for being who they are. I love great talks with little kids, I love great talks with younger kids. I love seeing how each child deals with new situations, with tense situations and with frustrating situations. I like being able to talk it out with them after.

2) My faith and my relationship with my heavenly Father. He is my strength in my weakness and this summer will be a time for His strength to shine. There are times when sadly this is less of a passion than others, but my relationship with God is what has made me who I am and He is molding me into what I will become. He is my life and my first love, I follow Him. (John 10:27)

3) When I asked Rob what my 5 passions were he said, "Me?" and smiled innocently in my direction. But it's true. I am passionate about my relationship with Rob. I love living life with him. He makes me laugh and smile and he makes me feel safe when I am sad or hurt. I'm so glad that God has given him to me as my partner for life, Rob makes life more fun.

4) Writing. I love to write. It brings me joy, it makes me feel connected to God. It feels right and makes me feel like I am doing a part of what I was created to do. I've always been better at expressing myself in writing, and it's always been easier for me to figure things out and analyze situations when I can write things down. It's how I focus and clear my head.

5) I'm passionate about encouraging people. I love making someone's day by saying something simple to them that I appreciate about them. I've realized over the years the power of a simple encouragement or compliment or positive affirmation. It was made most clear to me in Taiwan. Small compliments can make a huge difference for someone.

So those are the 5 things that I am passionate about. It's had for me to think of specific things. I'm going to try to write again tomorrow evening, and if I do I will write about 10 People Who Have Influenced Me and Why. I hope to also share some stories with you from my job for the summer. I'm sure there will be many. I already spent a long time telling Rob about the hilarious/not -really-hilarious-at-the-time-but-it's-amusing-afterwards the kids did in afternoon and evening program today.

"If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing." 1 Cor. 13:2.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 6- Passages that have Impacted/Encouraged Me

 I have to try really hard not to begin these posts with "so". Apparently, that is my go to starter word...which is odd but true. I skipped yesterday due to the cold that was taking each member of our house captive one by one. Why is it never all at once? Sometimes this feels it would be easier than this long, drawn out affair we have been experiencing. Our youngest has had a fever for the past two days and while at first she handled it like a champ she, like all of us, only had so much to give before she just decided the whole being sick things sucks and is no over it. Anyway, I skipped yesterday and considered skipping today as well but then I felt like I wasn't really challenging myself then. So this might be another lighter post but the point was for me to write every day not write something groundbreaking every day (or ever!). So, when I looked at my list of things one that stuck out to me was Bible verses that have impacted me. I think that even if you aren't a

The Waterfall

About two weekends ago my best friend and I embarked on an adventure to go on a canoe trip all on our own. We were going to take on the wilderness, ferocious chipmunks and all! We only got lost once, it only took us one try to start a roaring fire- out of a desire for s'mores and spider dogs, not out of necessity, we never flipped our canoe, only got burnt a little bit and were shown and given many amazing things on our long weekend adventure. Let me start off by mentioning a small blessing that we received. If you have ever been on a long canoe trip you will join with me in celebrating this blessing! First, a little context. We launched out at about 11 in the morning, paddling strong towards our destination in the hot summer sun... or so we thought. Turns out a map reader I am not and we headed to the wrong end of the lake, don't ask me how this happened but it did. After portaging into the wrong lake, being told from some nice men that we were in fact at the wrong end of

My heart

I’ve been having a blast writing these blogs recently. I hope the 10 or so of you who read them are also having a blast reading them. :P  I had forgotten how much joy I get out of writing, for years it has been the way that I connected to God best, and also for a year or so it’s something I’ve stayed away from, for a variety of reasons. But that’s a blog post for another time, maybe tomorrow? ;) Or perhaps when I feel that’s the direction God is guiding my typing fingers.  My spiritual director and I were talking the other week about “Kairos” moments, which means in ancient Greek, loosely translated, a right or opportune moment. Or in the context her and I were talking about, the way that we best connect with God. So, in a sense, the opportune moments for us to connect with God. Make sense? When she asked what my kairos moment(s) was/were I didn’t have to think twice.  Being with people, encouraging people, really TALKING with people, asking the “How’s your heart?” questi