Skip to main content

My Relationship with My Parents

My mom commented the other day that she was a little nervous about this post. I smiled because I knew that she need not worry about it. I think, like all children and their parents we went through some rough spots. In the end I was always aware of the fact that they loved and cared a lot about me.

I grew up knowing that I was truly loved. I also grew up admiring my mom for her childishness, humility, hospitality, faith in God and ability to stand her ground. That last one is something I've come to admire as I've gotten older. I didn't really appreciate her ability to stand her ground when I wanted something as a child. I wanted what I wanted and didn't understand why I couldn't have it.

I grew up knowing that no meant no. I tested this a few times. One time I sat down and said I wasn't moving until I got what I wanted. My mom shrugged and said, "Ok, see you later." and then went to hang where she could see me but I couldn't see her. At first I was convinced I would outlast her. That lasted all of 45 seconds, when I stood up knowing that I didn't want whatever it was as much as I wanted my mom. She came walking over and said, "Are you coming?" She probably had a little smile on her face, I know I would have. 

When I got older I was granted the opportunity to explain why I really wanted something. This would sometimes still result in a no but I got heard and that meant a lot to me.

I have always admired my father's ability to make friends in any situation, though this is also something that embarrassed me to me to no end when I was a teenager. I admit at times I still shake my head a little and apologize to the dog owner, cashier or waitress, but I hope I don't look as mortified as before. My father loves to talk with people and he loves to make people laugh. I think that's a great quality to have, and is now something I'm more likely to appreciate. ;)

I have found that since I've gotten married I appreciate my parents and my relationship with them even more. I've seen them more this past year than I did in my four years of undergrad, so if you're thinking it's an instance of absence making the heart grow fonder I do not think that is the case. As I realize the work it takes to create a good marriage and as I realize the effort it takes to raise children (not from my own experience but from watching family raise children and reading about others experiences here http://blueeyedbride.com/ and here http://marriageconfessions.com/ ) I realize just how much y parents have done for me.


While my mom and I had our rocky periods I've always known that she was there to talk to or write a letter to or take a walk with. After a week of camp she was always there for me to hash things out with, she enjoyed listening to my stories and I could tell! I loved those 30 minute drives home on Friday. :) And now almost every week during the school year my mom and I get to take a walk home from Starbucks and it has been a great time to catch up and talk. There was this quote I saw somewhere that said something along the lines of when your daughter is young you are her mother but as she grows she becomes your best friend. I think I have had the privileged of growing up with a mother who knew when I needed a mother and knew when I needed a best friend. I believe that God gave her wisdom in every circumstance and believe that she is one of the most Christlike mom's I know because of her complete love for me and my brother and her willing to sacrifice anything for us.

As for my dad, I always loved the moments when we were driving alone together somewhere. My dad and I had the best conversations when he would be the one driving me to school or to Yorkland Monday mornings in the summer, or when he would drive me back to Waterloo. We had some great chats during those car rides, and we got to listen to as much country music as we wanted to. We talked about love and family and music and school and my dreams and friends and really whatever came to mind.

He used to sing this hymn to me before I went to bed when I was little. I can never remember the name of it, but I loved listening to him sing. I did not, however, enjoy listening to him or my mom sing "Don't be Afraid of the Dark"...what a terrifying song.

So while our relationships weren't perfect I truly love and admire both my parents and hope I can do as good a job as the two of them. My brother and I turned our pretty amazing after all!

Tomorrow I might post about our trip to Niagara last weekend but I'm leaving the 30 Things for the weekend. The next up is: List 10 things you would tell your 16 year old self. See ya on the flipside! (Lame? :S)

Comments

  1. Alysha, I have also noticed your relationship with your parents and really admire that! And of course, agree whole heartedly with the qualities you have mentioned of them! Whether it was laughing with your Dad about something, Thunder Bay related or not, or being rejuvenated by the caring and hospitality of "Mama Parkins" I have also truly appreciated the way they love you, each other and all of your friends, and definitely miss have staff weekend at your house!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 6- Passages that have Impacted/Encouraged Me

 I have to try really hard not to begin these posts with "so". Apparently, that is my go to starter word...which is odd but true. I skipped yesterday due to the cold that was taking each member of our house captive one by one. Why is it never all at once? Sometimes this feels it would be easier than this long, drawn out affair we have been experiencing. Our youngest has had a fever for the past two days and while at first she handled it like a champ she, like all of us, only had so much to give before she just decided the whole being sick things sucks and is no over it. Anyway, I skipped yesterday and considered skipping today as well but then I felt like I wasn't really challenging myself then. So this might be another lighter post but the point was for me to write every day not write something groundbreaking every day (or ever!). So, when I looked at my list of things one that stuck out to me was Bible verses that have impacted me. I think that even if you aren't a

Starting Again

 Here we go again. I've decided (once again) that I really need and want to start writing again. How is this going to happen with one kid that won't leave my side and another that is pretty indifferent to sleep? I'm not sure but I'm going to try. I'm never entirely sure where to start when I start writing again. Do I follow prompts? Just write whatever the heck I want? A combination of the two? I've considered starting writing again without any connection to who I am...to allow myself to write more freely. Right now that thought is still on the table to be honest. I think the greater growing experience for me, however, would be to put myself in a situation where I journey let go of the pressure and expectations I put on myself for my writing to be something "spectacular" and to just write. Basically, I think what I'm going to do is an advent calendar of writing. Leading up to Christmas, for 25 days, I'm going to commit to writing something. It

My heart

I’ve been having a blast writing these blogs recently. I hope the 10 or so of you who read them are also having a blast reading them. :P  I had forgotten how much joy I get out of writing, for years it has been the way that I connected to God best, and also for a year or so it’s something I’ve stayed away from, for a variety of reasons. But that’s a blog post for another time, maybe tomorrow? ;) Or perhaps when I feel that’s the direction God is guiding my typing fingers.  My spiritual director and I were talking the other week about “Kairos” moments, which means in ancient Greek, loosely translated, a right or opportune moment. Or in the context her and I were talking about, the way that we best connect with God. So, in a sense, the opportune moments for us to connect with God. Make sense? When she asked what my kairos moment(s) was/were I didn’t have to think twice.  Being with people, encouraging people, really TALKING with people, asking the “How’s your heart?” questi