Skip to main content

Raised Expectations

I've been noticing this trend lately on Pinterest (don't judge me) of pins that seem to raise the bar really high for what women (and perhaps men in turn) expect from weddings and proposals and marriage in general.

I look at all these engagement video posts where guys do these insanely elaborate things to propose to the women that they love...which is SO awesome, but not the norm.

I think women have begun to think that this is what is the rule, that this is what they should demand and that it is reasonable for them to expect this. Women have begun to accept that if their future fiance does not do this elaborate proposal that their fiance somehow did not live up to this invisible standard that Pinterest and the wedding industry has been putting in place for them.

I say this as a woman who loooveesss weddings, and cute proposals and wonderful marriage stories. So, I will just add this little disclaimer in. I have nothing against a guy who wants to do something wonderful for the woman that he wants to marry, I love it and think it's wonderful- if it's "them". I have nothing against planning a fun wedding that reflects who you are as a couple and honours those who have supported you as a couple and individuals and brought you to the place where you are committing the rest of your lives to each other. I also think it's adorable when a guy says sweet things to his wife/girlfriend and when guys do adorable things for their wives.

What I don't love is when unreal expectations are set for proposals, where guys are looked down upon for keepin' it simple when they ask the woman that they love to spend the rest of their lives with him. What I don't love is when the wedding becomes the focus instead of the marriage. What I don't love is when a girl doesn't appreciate a great guy because he doesn't plan elaborate dates for her, buy her flowers, write her a note for every day of the week, buy her expensive jewelry, tell her incredibly romantic things all the time and always act like he is madly in love with her. We have this expectation for men that is just insane sometimes.

I think for most of this post I'm going to keep thinking that I need to let you guys know that I'm not on the extreme constantly. Just know that I think these things are great, but I think sometimes are expectations are set way to high. Also know that I realize that there are exceptions to what I am writing but I can't cover all the exceptions.

Let's take for example, the feeling after you get married. I think that after watching zillions of rom com's a lot of women (and perhaps men too) expect that they will feel drastically different when they say I do. That all of a sudden they will feel new and sparkly and married.

I have talked to so many couples that wondered if there was something wrong with them because they never felt married, they didn't feel any different. Months later they're thinking, "Is there something wrong with me...with us...because I don't feel married. Maybe we're not in love. Maybe this was a mistake."

I think this tends to happen a lot for Christian couples, who marry young and the first time they have sex is on their wedding night. Sex has been described as this taboo thing for most of their lives in the church and outside the church it's been described as this awesome, amazing mind blowing experience and they're thinking...alright...what is it? Taboo? Mindblowing? A mundane task?

So this young Christian couple heads off on their honeymoon, doing things that honeymooners do and they're waiting for that feeling of being "different". And it never comes. It never comes because it feels normal, it feels natural.

To clarify I have had this convo. with many married friends who come from this point of view as well, so this isn't just me talking.

Don't get me wrong I don't think sex is taboo OR a mundane task. I think it's what God created it to be when it's not tainted. God created sex to connect people on deeper and more intimate level than they are connected to anyone else and I think He created us to enjoy it. It's great (maybe even super awesome)...but it's also natural.

Rob and I had an engagement that was "us" and us meant simple and me doing something slightly ridiculous. I was so happy with it, it was great! But then all these other messages started pouring in. "If he reallly loved you he would have bought you a bigger ring." (Except that he gave me exactly what I wanted, and asked for, and love) "If he really was madly in love he would have planned a speech and something really elaborate and he would have sobbed as he expressed his undying love to you." (Except that didn't he express everything in that one question?) "You DESERVE to be brought flowers and have beautiful, long letters written to you and if he doesn't do this he doesn't deserve you..." (Except aren't little notes and long hugs and winks enough...and HIM?)

See the problem? We begin to expect someone that not every man will be, we begin to expect a story that is someone else's and not the one marked out for us and I think that this is a problem.

I'm not telling you to lower your standards so much that you accept a man who treats you like junk, never compliments you and never loves you in the way you receive it. I'm telling you to look for a man who is real and who loves you honestly and who follows God passionately. Look at the story that God has planned out for you and say it's good, because it is. Be content. The comparison game is a dangerous game to play. Please don't play it, it will make you unhappy and unsatisfied with something great you might have right before you.

And that's just what I think...and thanks to Pinterest for blog post inspiration.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 6- Passages that have Impacted/Encouraged Me

 I have to try really hard not to begin these posts with "so". Apparently, that is my go to starter word...which is odd but true. I skipped yesterday due to the cold that was taking each member of our house captive one by one. Why is it never all at once? Sometimes this feels it would be easier than this long, drawn out affair we have been experiencing. Our youngest has had a fever for the past two days and while at first she handled it like a champ she, like all of us, only had so much to give before she just decided the whole being sick things sucks and is no over it. Anyway, I skipped yesterday and considered skipping today as well but then I felt like I wasn't really challenging myself then. So this might be another lighter post but the point was for me to write every day not write something groundbreaking every day (or ever!). So, when I looked at my list of things one that stuck out to me was Bible verses that have impacted me. I think that even if you aren't a

Starting Again

 Here we go again. I've decided (once again) that I really need and want to start writing again. How is this going to happen with one kid that won't leave my side and another that is pretty indifferent to sleep? I'm not sure but I'm going to try. I'm never entirely sure where to start when I start writing again. Do I follow prompts? Just write whatever the heck I want? A combination of the two? I've considered starting writing again without any connection to who I am...to allow myself to write more freely. Right now that thought is still on the table to be honest. I think the greater growing experience for me, however, would be to put myself in a situation where I journey let go of the pressure and expectations I put on myself for my writing to be something "spectacular" and to just write. Basically, I think what I'm going to do is an advent calendar of writing. Leading up to Christmas, for 25 days, I'm going to commit to writing something. It

My heart

I’ve been having a blast writing these blogs recently. I hope the 10 or so of you who read them are also having a blast reading them. :P  I had forgotten how much joy I get out of writing, for years it has been the way that I connected to God best, and also for a year or so it’s something I’ve stayed away from, for a variety of reasons. But that’s a blog post for another time, maybe tomorrow? ;) Or perhaps when I feel that’s the direction God is guiding my typing fingers.  My spiritual director and I were talking the other week about “Kairos” moments, which means in ancient Greek, loosely translated, a right or opportune moment. Or in the context her and I were talking about, the way that we best connect with God. So, in a sense, the opportune moments for us to connect with God. Make sense? When she asked what my kairos moment(s) was/were I didn’t have to think twice.  Being with people, encouraging people, really TALKING with people, asking the “How’s your heart?” questi