Skip to main content

Fall Excitement!

Is anyone else excited for fall?! The trees are beautiful and there is that particular smell in the air that makes me go, "Ahh..." While I am definitely a summer girl, I may have a wavering dedication to summer because of fall. Fall is beautiful, fall means pumpkin pie, fall means sweaters, fall means cozy homes filled with wonderful smells.

Some of you know that I'm down in Toronto three days and two nights a week. Honestly, in some ways this has been wonderful for our marriage! But it doesn't change the fact that I miss being around Rob, and our home. 

Side note: Do any of you find you have an addiction to exclamation points? I always find myself having to restrict my use of them or using :)'s to show it is a happy exclamation and not an angry one.

I was going to write this post about this coming (and by coming I mean past) weekend, which for us here Canadians was all about Thanksgiving. But by the time I got around to actually writing this blog the Thanksgiving weekend was done. Man was it full of fall goodness. The St. Jacob's Market, long walks all bundled up, beautiful drives with beautiful scenery, pumpkin pie and turkey! My shirt also smells a lot like smoke from the fireplace at the farm currently.

Does anyone else wear their shirts more than once? Am I gross? I sprayed perfume on myself before I left the house, that makes it better right?

Something that has been on my mind a lot recently is laughter, partly because a lot of my weekend and day today has been filled with laughter. I love laughter. The feeling of being with friends and giggling to your hearts content, until tears are brought to your eyes or until you are no longer laughing but just taking sharp breaths and grinning to your hearts content is one of the best feelings in the world.

This weekend I had the pure joy (heh, heh) of giggling with my new 3 month old niece Katie Joy (See what I did there?IF you don't look up what the meaning of the name Kathleen is). There is nothing better than a baby's smile and giggle. I think I sat for a good 20 minutes just giggling with her as she lay on my lap. I would giggle and then she would grin at me and then giggle and gurgle and "talk". Ah, bliss.

Scenes of laughter just keep playing through my head. Some of the top moments running through my mind right now:

1. Spending break at camp reading Songs of Solomon with Chevy and giggling with each other until we nearly peed. Her laugh just gets me going, and there's nothing more hilarious than Songs of Solomon when you're 17.

2. Lying on the ground with half of me in the kitchen and half of me in the bedroom that my best friend and I shared in 4th year while we laughed and giggled and cried. There is nothing that compares to lying on your stomach with your best friend and having a good chuckle.

3. I can't think of any specific examples but Rob makes me laugh in a different way than anyone else. He can always get me going. He seems to know just what will make me laugh. He has this one smile that sets me off in seconds. I love it when he creeps into a room and pretends that he's being sneaky. He makes such corny jokes, but I think they are hilarious. (I think this comes from having a mother who has this kind of humour.)

4. I remember so many moments when Jo and I were leading the woman's bible study in 4th year when we would all just sit and giggle, or laugh heartily, for a while. I loved the sound of our place being filled with laughter and chatter. Sometimes it was fun to hear everyone laughing and talking upstairs while we were getting tea or snacks ready. Those girls made my heart feel so happy.

5. Oh, campfire skits. This is another camp memory that just makes my face break into a grin whenever I think of it (Which is awkward in class...). These are the moments that are "You had to be there moments." It's not that it's not funny it's just that there is so much background to it that it would take two hours to explain everything that makes it so darn hilarious. One of my favourites was the CPR/Switch skit, or maybe it's the lunch box skit, or maybe The Bachelor...or the Fes goes camping with Baloo skit...or maybe they're all just too wonderful to be able to pick just one.

6. For a good chunk of a conversation I was a part of today we were laughing. There are some people that I know that can get me laughing so easily, and it takes so much effort to stop. When you put these people together that can make me laugh I'm never going to stop. These moments make me so happy.

Proverbs 15:13- A happy heart makes the face cheerful,
but heartache crushes the spirit. 


Comments

  1. I really love this one.... I keep coming back to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...maybe because it's the one you bookmarked. :p

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 6- Passages that have Impacted/Encouraged Me

 I have to try really hard not to begin these posts with "so". Apparently, that is my go to starter word...which is odd but true. I skipped yesterday due to the cold that was taking each member of our house captive one by one. Why is it never all at once? Sometimes this feels it would be easier than this long, drawn out affair we have been experiencing. Our youngest has had a fever for the past two days and while at first she handled it like a champ she, like all of us, only had so much to give before she just decided the whole being sick things sucks and is no over it. Anyway, I skipped yesterday and considered skipping today as well but then I felt like I wasn't really challenging myself then. So this might be another lighter post but the point was for me to write every day not write something groundbreaking every day (or ever!). So, when I looked at my list of things one that stuck out to me was Bible verses that have impacted me. I think that even if you aren't a

Starting Again

 Here we go again. I've decided (once again) that I really need and want to start writing again. How is this going to happen with one kid that won't leave my side and another that is pretty indifferent to sleep? I'm not sure but I'm going to try. I'm never entirely sure where to start when I start writing again. Do I follow prompts? Just write whatever the heck I want? A combination of the two? I've considered starting writing again without any connection to who I am...to allow myself to write more freely. Right now that thought is still on the table to be honest. I think the greater growing experience for me, however, would be to put myself in a situation where I journey let go of the pressure and expectations I put on myself for my writing to be something "spectacular" and to just write. Basically, I think what I'm going to do is an advent calendar of writing. Leading up to Christmas, for 25 days, I'm going to commit to writing something. It

My heart

I’ve been having a blast writing these blogs recently. I hope the 10 or so of you who read them are also having a blast reading them. :P  I had forgotten how much joy I get out of writing, for years it has been the way that I connected to God best, and also for a year or so it’s something I’ve stayed away from, for a variety of reasons. But that’s a blog post for another time, maybe tomorrow? ;) Or perhaps when I feel that’s the direction God is guiding my typing fingers.  My spiritual director and I were talking the other week about “Kairos” moments, which means in ancient Greek, loosely translated, a right or opportune moment. Or in the context her and I were talking about, the way that we best connect with God. So, in a sense, the opportune moments for us to connect with God. Make sense? When she asked what my kairos moment(s) was/were I didn’t have to think twice.  Being with people, encouraging people, really TALKING with people, asking the “How’s your heart?” questi