Skip to main content

Canoe Trips and Starry Skies


I suddenly have this deep desire to go on a canoe trip. While I realize that this might be a leetle silly right now, because I would freeze my butt off and I kinda like being able to sit (and let’s be honest I just like my tush)...

I really want to go on one next summer.

I love canoe trips. 

I love the excuse to be dirty and not shower for 5...or 7... days. I love making my own fire and perpetually smelling like campfire. I love being TIRED at the end of the day because I just canoed for four hours and portaged two 1 km portages a few times each. I love just being tired cause I’ve been out in the sun. I love the feel of jumping into the cool water, clothes still on or in a bathing suit (though the former can be more fun), and feeling my skin sigh in relief. I love how disgusting food tastes amazing and how it is totally acceptable to eat s’mores for dinner. I love watching the sunset and hearing nature’s noise change with it.  

I also love the stars...oh my goodness. Guys, is it possible to salivate at the thought of a canoe trip?

No?

Oh...I was just joking...

But seriously, the STARS! I love me a night sky. I love lying out on a rock or clump of grass and looking out into the great beyond. I love hearing the crickets and bullfrogs in the background and the crackle and pop of a fire. I love the feeling of the cool breeze that comes across the lake and makes you pull your sweater more closely around you. I love the conversation that happens under night skies. I think I’ve had some of the best conversations of my life under a night sky. I’ve also had some of the most hilarious conversations under the stars.

I will now share some night sky stories with you that come to mind.

And you WILL like them...

One year on the staff canoe trip we were all sitting around the campfire, chatting and laughing and breathing in way too much campfire smoke. As we sat there and talked the sound of a loon broke through our conversation and everyone started talking about how beautiful the sound was. I shivered and said, “I think it sounds like a lost soul...” Maybe I’d had one too many s’mores or something because this was not an opinion I tended to state so boldly. Everyone turned and looked at me and laughingly said “What?!” Then I proceeded to try to defend my opinion but instead was just mocked for the rest of the canoe trip. 

But seriously, doesn’t ANYONE else find the loon’s call a little creepy?

There are so many moments from camp where I remember lying out under the stars on the hill, squished between a bunch of other girls, if I was so lucky to not get stuck on the edge, giggling and talking. The conversations that happen under the night sky at camp I can’t even describe to you how wonderful they were. Hilarious camper stories were told, big questions were asked and debated, laughter about boys, relationships and our notions on child birth was shared. The support system every summer from these women got me through those awful high school years, I’m glad they weren’t the best years of my life. 

What a depressing outlook.

I also remember being scared out of my skin a few times at camp, thanks to a wonderful wolf mask provided by Beau. I think it’s worse to be scared when you’ve been waiting for it. The anticipation just builds!

The canoe trip I took two summers ago with my best friend was filled with quiet, peaceful moments under the stars. Where we just sat in content silence and tried to decide when we would have to brave the dark woods to use the thunder box...

That memory just reminded me of another great night conversation that didn’t happen under the stars but may be one of my fondest memories from my last year of university. I was blessed in my last year to share a room with my best friend. Most nights we would crawl into our separate beds say a few things and fall asleep. But one night in particular we just couldn’t stop talking and it was late and we both had early mornings. But alas! Whenever we tried to stop talking one of us would burst into a fit of laughter. I even tried leaving the room and coming back in, but once I crawled back into bed I started giggling all over again. This memory makes me smile...

I think that these types of moments are something that I’ve missed a lot lately. Just the other day my friend mentioned a conversation starter that got me thinking. Basically you answer this question, “If you really knew me, you’d know...” I think that if you really knew me, you’d know I love late night conversations.

To be honest, one of the only things I miss about being single is the chance to have these late night conversations, under the stars or otherwise. I have so many fond memories of hushed conversations happening in the dead of night, hearing the wind in the trees and having the stars above me. It’s kind of sad to realize that these conversations are still possible but that it takes more intentionality (not a word?!) for them to happen. There is less spontaneity behind them. Maybe this will make me treasure these conversations more in the future or be more intentional about them.

So, anyone want to go a canoe trip? I know you feel the pull towards those starry night skies, campfire smells, plush mattresses (haha, I’m sooo hilarious), days in the summer sun and sounds of nature...just give in friends...just give in.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 6- Passages that have Impacted/Encouraged Me

 I have to try really hard not to begin these posts with "so". Apparently, that is my go to starter word...which is odd but true. I skipped yesterday due to the cold that was taking each member of our house captive one by one. Why is it never all at once? Sometimes this feels it would be easier than this long, drawn out affair we have been experiencing. Our youngest has had a fever for the past two days and while at first she handled it like a champ she, like all of us, only had so much to give before she just decided the whole being sick things sucks and is no over it. Anyway, I skipped yesterday and considered skipping today as well but then I felt like I wasn't really challenging myself then. So this might be another lighter post but the point was for me to write every day not write something groundbreaking every day (or ever!). So, when I looked at my list of things one that stuck out to me was Bible verses that have impacted me. I think that even if you aren't a

Starting Again

 Here we go again. I've decided (once again) that I really need and want to start writing again. How is this going to happen with one kid that won't leave my side and another that is pretty indifferent to sleep? I'm not sure but I'm going to try. I'm never entirely sure where to start when I start writing again. Do I follow prompts? Just write whatever the heck I want? A combination of the two? I've considered starting writing again without any connection to who I am...to allow myself to write more freely. Right now that thought is still on the table to be honest. I think the greater growing experience for me, however, would be to put myself in a situation where I journey let go of the pressure and expectations I put on myself for my writing to be something "spectacular" and to just write. Basically, I think what I'm going to do is an advent calendar of writing. Leading up to Christmas, for 25 days, I'm going to commit to writing something. It

My heart

I’ve been having a blast writing these blogs recently. I hope the 10 or so of you who read them are also having a blast reading them. :P  I had forgotten how much joy I get out of writing, for years it has been the way that I connected to God best, and also for a year or so it’s something I’ve stayed away from, for a variety of reasons. But that’s a blog post for another time, maybe tomorrow? ;) Or perhaps when I feel that’s the direction God is guiding my typing fingers.  My spiritual director and I were talking the other week about “Kairos” moments, which means in ancient Greek, loosely translated, a right or opportune moment. Or in the context her and I were talking about, the way that we best connect with God. So, in a sense, the opportune moments for us to connect with God. Make sense? When she asked what my kairos moment(s) was/were I didn’t have to think twice.  Being with people, encouraging people, really TALKING with people, asking the “How’s your heart?” questi