Skip to main content

Love, Words, and Random Thoughts

So, I've started this post about three times. Every time I start off with a certain point I end up realizing that it's not really what I think or that it doesn't really convey what I've been thinking about. So I'm going to do this in a list kind of format.

1. Words are powerful. They have an impact to tear down and to really build people up. The Bible talks A LOT about being careful with our words, taming our tongues and watching the words that come out of our mouths. When we were little my mom always said, "If you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all." We called it the Thumper rule. It can be hard to figure out what this means for me as I blog.

I love giving words of encouragement to people, it's probably one of the ways I really express to people how much they mean to me, that and gifts. I love giving gifts. It's so fun! I think that I get this from my mom. She always gives the best, most thoughtful gifts.

Words of encouragement are also one of the ways that I feel the most affirmed, Rob is good at this even though it doesn't come naturally to him, and I appreciate that a lot.

The thing I've been realizing about this "need" for affirmation is the fact that I should be looking to receive this affirmation from God when I'm not receiving it from those around me and even when I AM receiving it from those around me. This is not because of any fault of others, but of something in me that wants to be affirmed. It sounds like such an obvious thing and something I know, but don't really KNOW, you know? :P 

I struggled with this a lot my first year of university, and it's something that often comes up for me again and again.

2. We were watching this clip of a counselling session in Foundations of Counselling and I was a little disconcerted about how much the counselling session resonated with me.

Isn't it weird when that happens? You're just going along with life, thinking and pondering, and then all of a sudden it's like BAM, this is what God is trying to speak to you! And the message just gets repeated over and over? This happens to me every once and a while. I'll be just casually thinking about something an all of a sudden people are bringing it up in conversation, I'm hearing talks about it on the radio, people are recommending books about it, professors are talking about it in class and I'm sitting there going, "Did everyone have a big meeting with God and I wasn't invited?"

Last year I had this crazy moment of confidence/insanity at a class retreat where I decided to share my dream with the class for a "dream analysis". The dream was pretty intense but it came down to, how do you care for yourself? Who takes care of you? Which is a good question, and a question I think as potential counsellors me and my classmates should be asking. 

3. To go back to the first point, just to be confusing, what about when people receive love in a totally opposite way than you...or when they just don't receive it at all? I have met so many people like this and have many close friends where this is the case. It's a good challenge for me to keep loving and trying to figure out ways I can show them in ways that they'll accept it.

Rob and I do connect on giving and receiving love in some ways, but for him he is a 0 on the scale on receiving love from gifts. I like gifts, meaningful thought-out gifts. So sometimes I give them to him and will forget about the ways that he actually receives love and we have a little time of disconnect. 

I always find it fun when I meet people to try and discern what their love languages are. Sometimes I end up having to ask people because I just keep missing the mark. For the longest time I had no idea how my brother received love, until one time I was talking with my friends about our relationship and one of them looked at me and said, "Lysh, maybe it's quality time?" And it was a light bulb moment. I think it's really changed how my brother and I interact and realizing that just hanging out is what he wants. My expectations and perceptions are not his.

4. I want to go hiking, really bad. I miss being outside. The city is not so good for me and I live in it 24/7. 

5. I'm learning more and more every day that I won't be able to make people feel a certain way, about themselves, about the world, about God. It just won't happen. I can never convince people of their worth, value. I can tell people they have worth and value and try to show it to them but you can never change a persons view of themselves or the world through argument. I'm not fully explaining this thought. But that's the base of it.

Obviously, there are exceptions to this and you can help people see truths but you cannot open their eyes.

6. I want a burger and fries. Crispy delicious fries. This happens to me a lot when I'm at school. Anyone have any theories on this?

I do.

I like crispy fries.

7. It's sunny today and that makes me so happy. I think I will walk over to the other campus this afternoon. Hurrah!
Oorah!
And scene...

Thanks for attempting to track along with me. This isn't my best thought out post. But I hope you enjoyed it anyway.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 6- Passages that have Impacted/Encouraged Me

 I have to try really hard not to begin these posts with "so". Apparently, that is my go to starter word...which is odd but true. I skipped yesterday due to the cold that was taking each member of our house captive one by one. Why is it never all at once? Sometimes this feels it would be easier than this long, drawn out affair we have been experiencing. Our youngest has had a fever for the past two days and while at first she handled it like a champ she, like all of us, only had so much to give before she just decided the whole being sick things sucks and is no over it. Anyway, I skipped yesterday and considered skipping today as well but then I felt like I wasn't really challenging myself then. So this might be another lighter post but the point was for me to write every day not write something groundbreaking every day (or ever!). So, when I looked at my list of things one that stuck out to me was Bible verses that have impacted me. I think that even if you aren't a

Starting Again

 Here we go again. I've decided (once again) that I really need and want to start writing again. How is this going to happen with one kid that won't leave my side and another that is pretty indifferent to sleep? I'm not sure but I'm going to try. I'm never entirely sure where to start when I start writing again. Do I follow prompts? Just write whatever the heck I want? A combination of the two? I've considered starting writing again without any connection to who I am...to allow myself to write more freely. Right now that thought is still on the table to be honest. I think the greater growing experience for me, however, would be to put myself in a situation where I journey let go of the pressure and expectations I put on myself for my writing to be something "spectacular" and to just write. Basically, I think what I'm going to do is an advent calendar of writing. Leading up to Christmas, for 25 days, I'm going to commit to writing something. It

My heart

I’ve been having a blast writing these blogs recently. I hope the 10 or so of you who read them are also having a blast reading them. :P  I had forgotten how much joy I get out of writing, for years it has been the way that I connected to God best, and also for a year or so it’s something I’ve stayed away from, for a variety of reasons. But that’s a blog post for another time, maybe tomorrow? ;) Or perhaps when I feel that’s the direction God is guiding my typing fingers.  My spiritual director and I were talking the other week about “Kairos” moments, which means in ancient Greek, loosely translated, a right or opportune moment. Or in the context her and I were talking about, the way that we best connect with God. So, in a sense, the opportune moments for us to connect with God. Make sense? When she asked what my kairos moment(s) was/were I didn’t have to think twice.  Being with people, encouraging people, really TALKING with people, asking the “How’s your heart?” questi