Skip to main content

Late Night Phone Thoughts

I'm not sure if I'll actually end up posting this because the fact that it was written on my phone just goes to show the informality of it all. I just had some thoughts swirling around in my head and since I hadn't written today I figured I should just grasp them and see if they go anywhere.

If you've ever watched multiple movies with me (that you haven't picked) you're likely to notice a few themes. One of them being that I don't set the bar particularly high, I'm not necessarily looking to watch something that is going to win Oscars. Another theme is that I absolutely love "coming of age" stories or teen drama. On the embarassing side this includes High School Musical (which perhaps is neither a coming of age or a drama...) and on the slightly less ridiculous side it's movies like The Edge of Seventeen, To the Bone and Boyhood.

As I was watching another Netflix coming of age/teen romance movie I got to thinking about what it is that I appreciate so much about these movies. One thing I have to say for Netflix is that while they often do rely on a routine script for a teen romance, something that they do fairly well is have stronger female characters that generally have a fairly strong sense of self. They don't easily change themselves for the guy they are interested in. I also appreciate that in most of the Netflix movies I've watched that are PG is that they truly do keep it on that level and there seems to also be this communication that sex isn't the be all and end all of any relationship. Which, to be honest, is often what is communicated in a lot of other romantic movies. Anyway, that's a rabbit trail into my appreciation for how Netflix does coming of age movies...

Back to what I was originally saying. In trying to figure out what it is I appreciate I realized that it's the rawness of emotions that are expressed. You really are reminded of that intensity of the feelings that you had in high school. Which has it's nausea inducing side of "Oh my goodness that was embarassing how strongly I felt about that situation." But also on the other side I feel this appreciation for the reminder. The reminder that to feel intensely isn't negative (especially when your prefrontal cortex is more developed)...and that life can be so richly experienced when we allow ourselves to feel more deeply.

There is something innocent in some of the dramas we went through as teenagers. Even the drama that perhaps wasn't so innocent and perhaps was truly heartbreaking...

I'm not saying that I want to experience everything the way I did as a teen because, man, that was a rollercoaster. However, watching these movies reminds me of the positive side to that intensity as well. Doing something like lying under the stars, or talking with friends on a dock at the cottage or simply just sitting and thinking was so much more of a rich experience. I remember reading something somewhere that talked about how you can't just full your experience of one emotion because what you end up doing is dulling all of them. In other words, if I no longer want to feel sadness I actually also dull my capacity to feel joy. It's like how they say when losing weight you can't "spot reduce" it just doesn't work that way. Perhaps with emotions we can't really spot reduce either.

Obviously not all of the softening of the intensity of emotions is because we have begun to protect ourselves against the less pleasant feeling emotions, but I do wonder if that is a part of it. Would I enjoy moments more, just the experience of being and living if I allowed myself to feel more in general? If I approached life with the reminder of the vibrancy I felt as a youth would my life become more full in some ways? Maybe not...but maybe yes?

Anyway, those are my typed out phone thoughts. They could be incredibly embarassing and not ready for public consumption...but here they are! Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 6- Passages that have Impacted/Encouraged Me

 I have to try really hard not to begin these posts with "so". Apparently, that is my go to starter word...which is odd but true. I skipped yesterday due to the cold that was taking each member of our house captive one by one. Why is it never all at once? Sometimes this feels it would be easier than this long, drawn out affair we have been experiencing. Our youngest has had a fever for the past two days and while at first she handled it like a champ she, like all of us, only had so much to give before she just decided the whole being sick things sucks and is no over it. Anyway, I skipped yesterday and considered skipping today as well but then I felt like I wasn't really challenging myself then. So this might be another lighter post but the point was for me to write every day not write something groundbreaking every day (or ever!). So, when I looked at my list of things one that stuck out to me was Bible verses that have impacted me. I think that even if you aren't a

Starting Again

 Here we go again. I've decided (once again) that I really need and want to start writing again. How is this going to happen with one kid that won't leave my side and another that is pretty indifferent to sleep? I'm not sure but I'm going to try. I'm never entirely sure where to start when I start writing again. Do I follow prompts? Just write whatever the heck I want? A combination of the two? I've considered starting writing again without any connection to who I am...to allow myself to write more freely. Right now that thought is still on the table to be honest. I think the greater growing experience for me, however, would be to put myself in a situation where I journey let go of the pressure and expectations I put on myself for my writing to be something "spectacular" and to just write. Basically, I think what I'm going to do is an advent calendar of writing. Leading up to Christmas, for 25 days, I'm going to commit to writing something. It

My heart

I’ve been having a blast writing these blogs recently. I hope the 10 or so of you who read them are also having a blast reading them. :P  I had forgotten how much joy I get out of writing, for years it has been the way that I connected to God best, and also for a year or so it’s something I’ve stayed away from, for a variety of reasons. But that’s a blog post for another time, maybe tomorrow? ;) Or perhaps when I feel that’s the direction God is guiding my typing fingers.  My spiritual director and I were talking the other week about “Kairos” moments, which means in ancient Greek, loosely translated, a right or opportune moment. Or in the context her and I were talking about, the way that we best connect with God. So, in a sense, the opportune moments for us to connect with God. Make sense? When she asked what my kairos moment(s) was/were I didn’t have to think twice.  Being with people, encouraging people, really TALKING with people, asking the “How’s your heart?” questi