Skip to main content

A Good Reminder

The other day I saw this post on Instagram where it was highlighting all the hilarious ways our children might let us know they love us. Most of the descriptions were ones that if someone else did them we probably wouldn't think they were that cute or we would be offended. One of the ones that stuck out to me was "Sits on your lap and closely inspects your face while pointing out all your flaws". At first I laughed because I have definitely experienced this side of children. The blunt and brutally honest side. I don't know how many times I had campers tell me that I had circles under my eyes or that I looked tired. I had campers honestly tell me that I just didn't look very good that day as well. It's a fun world to navigate, though considering the fact that I never wore make-up and rarely showered the fact that I didn't get that many negative comments is a positive to be considered!

However, after laughing at this image it got me thinking...maybe there is something deeper to it. Firstly, (and perhaps the foundation of my thoughts on this) I think most kids don't think that they are pointing out flaws they are just pointing out things that they observe and because of our experience in this world we hear them as "flaws". Over time when we hear enough that we should be trying to "erase our wrinkles/fine lines", spots or "blemishes" we learn to believe that there is we should be hiding because it makes us worth less or be less than others...as though everyone else isn't doing the exact same thing.

Secondly, I wonder if perhaps what our children are truly pointing out to us most of the time are the things that make us unique to them. Obviously, we all look different on a level outside of our wrinkles, scars, and spots but it is these flaws that make us even more unique. That combined they tell our stories, and as we tell those stories our children remember them and then that scar that we've been told is a flaw and needs to be hidden is suddenly something our child sees as a unique feature about us. When they look at us and take us in as a whole they see the stories, unique characteristics, and experiences that have made us who they know.

If I didn't have my flaws the story of that time I fell off a swing and got rocks in my chin might not be told. My teenagers might not have the reminder that they are not alone in their struggle with acne, that I get it because the scars of my experience are there. On that same note they may not learn that when I'm anxious or stressed I pick at things...fingernails, scabs, zits. If all my "flaws" were not visible not only would my face not hold my stories, but neither would my hands, my legs or my body. They probably wouldn't learn that I had gotten into a splashing war while teaching canoeing at camp and got a huge gash in my ring finger the same week I got engaged.

This is a short thought for today but it was something that stuck out and stuck with me. I've constantly been thinking of this post and how I can reframe my "flaws", because doesn't the world flaw seem to indicate it's outside of the norm? While we are often presented with this idea that we should be flawless, meeting some sort of beauty ideal and that we should make this all look natural or pretend that others woke up without any stories showing on their faces the fact of the matter is...none of us actually look the way we do when we're trying to cover our flaws.

Anyway, I hope this can help you reframe your flaws...to see the stories behind them or to see the connections to your family or children that the flaws point to.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 6- Passages that have Impacted/Encouraged Me

 I have to try really hard not to begin these posts with "so". Apparently, that is my go to starter word...which is odd but true. I skipped yesterday due to the cold that was taking each member of our house captive one by one. Why is it never all at once? Sometimes this feels it would be easier than this long, drawn out affair we have been experiencing. Our youngest has had a fever for the past two days and while at first she handled it like a champ she, like all of us, only had so much to give before she just decided the whole being sick things sucks and is no over it. Anyway, I skipped yesterday and considered skipping today as well but then I felt like I wasn't really challenging myself then. So this might be another lighter post but the point was for me to write every day not write something groundbreaking every day (or ever!). So, when I looked at my list of things one that stuck out to me was Bible verses that have impacted me. I think that even if you aren't a

Starting Again

 Here we go again. I've decided (once again) that I really need and want to start writing again. How is this going to happen with one kid that won't leave my side and another that is pretty indifferent to sleep? I'm not sure but I'm going to try. I'm never entirely sure where to start when I start writing again. Do I follow prompts? Just write whatever the heck I want? A combination of the two? I've considered starting writing again without any connection to who I am...to allow myself to write more freely. Right now that thought is still on the table to be honest. I think the greater growing experience for me, however, would be to put myself in a situation where I journey let go of the pressure and expectations I put on myself for my writing to be something "spectacular" and to just write. Basically, I think what I'm going to do is an advent calendar of writing. Leading up to Christmas, for 25 days, I'm going to commit to writing something. It

My heart

I’ve been having a blast writing these blogs recently. I hope the 10 or so of you who read them are also having a blast reading them. :P  I had forgotten how much joy I get out of writing, for years it has been the way that I connected to God best, and also for a year or so it’s something I’ve stayed away from, for a variety of reasons. But that’s a blog post for another time, maybe tomorrow? ;) Or perhaps when I feel that’s the direction God is guiding my typing fingers.  My spiritual director and I were talking the other week about “Kairos” moments, which means in ancient Greek, loosely translated, a right or opportune moment. Or in the context her and I were talking about, the way that we best connect with God. So, in a sense, the opportune moments for us to connect with God. Make sense? When she asked what my kairos moment(s) was/were I didn’t have to think twice.  Being with people, encouraging people, really TALKING with people, asking the “How’s your heart?” questi