Skip to main content

Friedrich the Opossum

This is a story that was written for my friends Katie and Hannah while I was in my Theology of the Human Person class. Basically I told them that I would write a story that started with the next three words that my professor spoke and whatever character name and back story they wanted. If you knew my theology professor you would understand the risk I was taking in starting a story off his next three words. Luckily, they were "was sent off" and the rest of the story follows. 

Friedrich was sent off to the cheese factory one day to buy some apples. He thought that this was a little strange as he thought that apples grew on trees. Friedrich figured that this was just another strange quirk that Canada had. Even though Friedrich had come to Canada to study the art of apologizing he found he was learning a great deal about the world and it’s cultures as well. In fact, Canadians enjoyed eating apple pie and cheese...so perhaps it was not strange for apples to be sold at a cheese factory. He found that Canada was very different than Bavaria but he was glad to have met some wonderful kind Canadians who spoke German, which was his first language. 

As Friedrich walked along he thought of all that he had learned about apologizing. He was so glad to have come to Canada to learn this art, as they specialized in it.  "There is no country better," he thought "at apologizing than Canada."

As an opossum he had never felt a great need for apologizing but as he watched the Canadians interact with one another he began to realize how many apologizing opportunities he had missed! Why, he had not realized that one could apologize for so many different things! He could apologize for having a different opinion, for looking at someone, for talking to someone, for handing someone something for being kind to some. In fact, Friedrich had noticed that sometimes Canadians apologized for nothing at all, or so it seemed. It was very complicated and Friedrich had much to learn about this more subtle art of apologizing when nothing has really seemed to happen at all. This was something he wished to study more before he left Canada. Actually,  he hoped to study it while out to buy apples. 

Friedrich swung from tree to tree on his little opossumy tail, happily breathing in the fresh Canadian air and humming a sorry song.

"I love being sorry and I apologize for that. I really like to wear a touque, but will never wear a hat. I'm sorry that I said that. I'm sorry I apologized. I'm sorry that you've heard this song and I'm sorry you're surprised. I'm sorry I'm Canadian, I'm sorry that you're not. I'm sorry for apologizing but it's really all I've got."

With the end of his son Friedrich looked up just in time to see another opossum swinging toward him at full speed. But he could not stop in time and they crashed straight into one another... tune in next time for more fun adventures with Friedrich the opposum from Bavaria. Will he grasp this opportunity for ample apologies or will he get swept away by the beauty of Olivia the Ontarian Opposum?!

(I apologize for the weird formatting, I don't know how to fix it!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 6- Passages that have Impacted/Encouraged Me

 I have to try really hard not to begin these posts with "so". Apparently, that is my go to starter word...which is odd but true. I skipped yesterday due to the cold that was taking each member of our house captive one by one. Why is it never all at once? Sometimes this feels it would be easier than this long, drawn out affair we have been experiencing. Our youngest has had a fever for the past two days and while at first she handled it like a champ she, like all of us, only had so much to give before she just decided the whole being sick things sucks and is no over it. Anyway, I skipped yesterday and considered skipping today as well but then I felt like I wasn't really challenging myself then. So this might be another lighter post but the point was for me to write every day not write something groundbreaking every day (or ever!). So, when I looked at my list of things one that stuck out to me was Bible verses that have impacted me. I think that even if you aren't a

Starting Again

 Here we go again. I've decided (once again) that I really need and want to start writing again. How is this going to happen with one kid that won't leave my side and another that is pretty indifferent to sleep? I'm not sure but I'm going to try. I'm never entirely sure where to start when I start writing again. Do I follow prompts? Just write whatever the heck I want? A combination of the two? I've considered starting writing again without any connection to who I am...to allow myself to write more freely. Right now that thought is still on the table to be honest. I think the greater growing experience for me, however, would be to put myself in a situation where I journey let go of the pressure and expectations I put on myself for my writing to be something "spectacular" and to just write. Basically, I think what I'm going to do is an advent calendar of writing. Leading up to Christmas, for 25 days, I'm going to commit to writing something. It

My heart

I’ve been having a blast writing these blogs recently. I hope the 10 or so of you who read them are also having a blast reading them. :P  I had forgotten how much joy I get out of writing, for years it has been the way that I connected to God best, and also for a year or so it’s something I’ve stayed away from, for a variety of reasons. But that’s a blog post for another time, maybe tomorrow? ;) Or perhaps when I feel that’s the direction God is guiding my typing fingers.  My spiritual director and I were talking the other week about “Kairos” moments, which means in ancient Greek, loosely translated, a right or opportune moment. Or in the context her and I were talking about, the way that we best connect with God. So, in a sense, the opportune moments for us to connect with God. Make sense? When she asked what my kairos moment(s) was/were I didn’t have to think twice.  Being with people, encouraging people, really TALKING with people, asking the “How’s your heart?” questi