Skip to main content

My Five Greatest Accomplishments

This is actually another difficult post for me to write. As you may have guessed if you read this post. I realize that I am still quite young at the ripe old age of 23, so I shouldn't expect to have 5 things that are equivalent to winning the Nobel Prize, or starting my own organization, or something along those lines.

So here it goes:

1. Graduating with an undergraduate degree in Psychology from the University of Waterloo and getting accepted afterward into Tyndale for my Masters. I know that in both these things I was following a passion that God had put in my heart and looking back following these dreams lead me to meet some of the most amazing people I've ever known. It will feel really good when all of this schooling is done though...

2. Going on two missions trips. While they were only a month long, they were two times in my life where I took a step of faith and totally relied on God for guidance and provision. I also see this as a great accomplishment because I stepped out when I knew I might "fail", this is hard for me to do.

3. Can getting married be seen as an accomplishment? Maybe if we had been married for less than a year it might be... OK I see preparing ourselves realistically for marriage as an accomplishment. We were aware that it would take work. We surrounded ourselves with positive couples, who emulated Christ-like marriages and we made sure that we talked about questions when they popped up. We understood from the beginning that our marriage would be in dangerous waters if Christ was not our center. We learned this the hard way a few times in our year and a half of dating/engagement.

4. I am probably the fastest at eating Jello with no hands/utensils that has ever graced the Camp Key-Mon-Oya dinning hall. It's not bragging if it's the truth right? You understand that it's quite the accomplishment if you've ever tried to eat Jello quickly with no hands/utensils before. It's all in the slurping action.

5. Y'all I honestly cannot think of a 5th accomplishment. So if you have any input it would be greatly appreciated, even if it's just that you think I do the best impression of a cow...I'll take what I can get folks.

I've been feeling the urge to write more lately, which I love but I have no idea what to write about. This is when that random cabin in the woods would be awesome. I want to sit and sip coffee on a porch and stare out into the mountains surrounded by huge trees. I want to feel a cool breeze blow across my face and to hear the sound of music playing softly in the background. Anyone have a random cabin in the middle of nowhere they'd like to lend me?

Bueller...

Bueller...

I hope that you all have had wonderful weeks. We're heading into what could turn out to be a fabulous weekend full of friends, fun dates, and chill time where we can just read and write. Anyone know a good place to head around Waterloo to just chill in creation?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 6- Passages that have Impacted/Encouraged Me

 I have to try really hard not to begin these posts with "so". Apparently, that is my go to starter word...which is odd but true. I skipped yesterday due to the cold that was taking each member of our house captive one by one. Why is it never all at once? Sometimes this feels it would be easier than this long, drawn out affair we have been experiencing. Our youngest has had a fever for the past two days and while at first she handled it like a champ she, like all of us, only had so much to give before she just decided the whole being sick things sucks and is no over it. Anyway, I skipped yesterday and considered skipping today as well but then I felt like I wasn't really challenging myself then. So this might be another lighter post but the point was for me to write every day not write something groundbreaking every day (or ever!). So, when I looked at my list of things one that stuck out to me was Bible verses that have impacted me. I think that even if you aren't a

Starting Again

 Here we go again. I've decided (once again) that I really need and want to start writing again. How is this going to happen with one kid that won't leave my side and another that is pretty indifferent to sleep? I'm not sure but I'm going to try. I'm never entirely sure where to start when I start writing again. Do I follow prompts? Just write whatever the heck I want? A combination of the two? I've considered starting writing again without any connection to who I am...to allow myself to write more freely. Right now that thought is still on the table to be honest. I think the greater growing experience for me, however, would be to put myself in a situation where I journey let go of the pressure and expectations I put on myself for my writing to be something "spectacular" and to just write. Basically, I think what I'm going to do is an advent calendar of writing. Leading up to Christmas, for 25 days, I'm going to commit to writing something. It

My heart

I’ve been having a blast writing these blogs recently. I hope the 10 or so of you who read them are also having a blast reading them. :P  I had forgotten how much joy I get out of writing, for years it has been the way that I connected to God best, and also for a year or so it’s something I’ve stayed away from, for a variety of reasons. But that’s a blog post for another time, maybe tomorrow? ;) Or perhaps when I feel that’s the direction God is guiding my typing fingers.  My spiritual director and I were talking the other week about “Kairos” moments, which means in ancient Greek, loosely translated, a right or opportune moment. Or in the context her and I were talking about, the way that we best connect with God. So, in a sense, the opportune moments for us to connect with God. Make sense? When she asked what my kairos moment(s) was/were I didn’t have to think twice.  Being with people, encouraging people, really TALKING with people, asking the “How’s your heart?” questi