Skip to main content

Rambling to Hopefully get me Started Again

It's times like these that I struggle to know what to write. It seems like so much is happening and there is so much information out there that I don't want to add to it unnecessarily or to some extent uselessly. I kept wondering if what I have to say is really important enough to type out, but I realized that I like hearing other people's thoughts and how they are processing everything that is going on. I keep wanting to hear it, despite the fact that I've already heard and read other people's experiences, because everyone's experience is unique and the ways that they're responding to it and caring for themselves and others is creative and individual. So, who knows, maybe one of you will connect with my experience or will feel less alone in yours.

Things are starting to feel more normal around here. They say it takes about 14 days to make a habit, so I guess it makes sense that as we get closer to hitting that two week mark of physical distancing and isolation that it has started to feel a bit more normal. I don't know about you guys but that first week was HARD, which isn't to say that it hasn't been hard since but it all felt really raw that first week. On top of our routine changing quite a bit at home, throwing the boys and I off our game, our youngest decided that it was a good time to go through separation anxiety at night leaving us with an extreme sleep debt. What this meant was that there were quite a few tears on my part. Tears about so many different things and as the weeks have gone on and it's become clear that this isn't a two week thing the tears have continued to flow...though at less regular intervals.

In that first week we watched a lot of movies. My eldest son LOVES musicals (much to my delight and my husband's disappointment) so we started watching mostly Disney movies that I remembered having a good message plus great music. His favourite, as I mentioned previously, was Beauty and the Beast hands down. However, he also really enjoyed The Sound of Music which really surprised me because it is a pretty slow moving movie but he loves the songs and asks to play the "ladleladle" song all the time. It took me a while to figure out what song that was...and if you're wondering it's The Lonely Goatherd".

To clarify my husband is disappointed because he really does not like musicals and, until this point, could request the music not to be played and I would oblige (most of the time). However, now that our eldest loves them so much he is constantly be subjected to musicals. He is, like always, taking it well and with his normal good nature.

I realized by the end of that first week, when it seemed like things weren't going to change anytime soon and that the restrictions were going to become more strict I started to realize the need for a bit more of a schedule and variety to our days. We aren't watching as many movies, we are going outside way more (a couple times a day most days) and we are trying to connect with my parents and friends via different platforms. I also realized how stir-crazy I am getting and how much I am desiring at least 15 minutes of conversation with another adult during my day...even 15 minutes of interrupted conversation is better than none!

I have found myself trying to find a balance between allowing myself to feel the sadness, loss and grief of the change in our day to day lives and how I had seen the next few months panning out and enjoying the moments as they are. For me this has meant not reading the news constantly throughout the day as much of it adds to my sadness and feelings of heaviness. It has also meant finding new ways to connect and make new kinds of memories with people I/we love. My friend and I drove out to the lake in separate cars and parked and just chatted with each other for an hour. This was such a gift to me and it's something I know that we'll look back on and smile...the idea that to "escape" our kids we had to hole up in our cars and talk...that that was the only place to find some quiet.

I am also trying not to predict so much of the future, especially through the more pessimistic lens I currently have on. I think that this time has made so clear for me the idea that I can't really plan in stone my future. There are so many things that I have felt were certainties, even if I wouldn't have said it. I have constantly had  this verse in James on my mind, "Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go into such and such a town and spend a year there and trade and make a profit”— yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes. Instead you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that.” To me this doesn't feel bleak...it is a wonderful reminder of another verse Romans 8:28 that says, "And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good..." 

I am in the hands of an Almighty God- which doesn't mean I won't experience pain, suffering, hurt or difficulty but that He will work all things for GOOD. Who knows how God will work in this terrible time but He will and I believe that He already is. As I type this I am also reminded of how we are unknowingly prepared for things. In our Bible study we talked about things almost exactly related to this...about how being God's children doesn't mean we won't ever be harmed but that everything is used to grow, strengthen and sanctify us. Which is definitely another topic for another day because it will get much too long! 

I bid you all adeiu! Until tomorrow!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 6- Passages that have Impacted/Encouraged Me

 I have to try really hard not to begin these posts with "so". Apparently, that is my go to starter word...which is odd but true. I skipped yesterday due to the cold that was taking each member of our house captive one by one. Why is it never all at once? Sometimes this feels it would be easier than this long, drawn out affair we have been experiencing. Our youngest has had a fever for the past two days and while at first she handled it like a champ she, like all of us, only had so much to give before she just decided the whole being sick things sucks and is no over it. Anyway, I skipped yesterday and considered skipping today as well but then I felt like I wasn't really challenging myself then. So this might be another lighter post but the point was for me to write every day not write something groundbreaking every day (or ever!). So, when I looked at my list of things one that stuck out to me was Bible verses that have impacted me. I think that even if you aren't a

Starting Again

 Here we go again. I've decided (once again) that I really need and want to start writing again. How is this going to happen with one kid that won't leave my side and another that is pretty indifferent to sleep? I'm not sure but I'm going to try. I'm never entirely sure where to start when I start writing again. Do I follow prompts? Just write whatever the heck I want? A combination of the two? I've considered starting writing again without any connection to who I am...to allow myself to write more freely. Right now that thought is still on the table to be honest. I think the greater growing experience for me, however, would be to put myself in a situation where I journey let go of the pressure and expectations I put on myself for my writing to be something "spectacular" and to just write. Basically, I think what I'm going to do is an advent calendar of writing. Leading up to Christmas, for 25 days, I'm going to commit to writing something. It

My heart

I’ve been having a blast writing these blogs recently. I hope the 10 or so of you who read them are also having a blast reading them. :P  I had forgotten how much joy I get out of writing, for years it has been the way that I connected to God best, and also for a year or so it’s something I’ve stayed away from, for a variety of reasons. But that’s a blog post for another time, maybe tomorrow? ;) Or perhaps when I feel that’s the direction God is guiding my typing fingers.  My spiritual director and I were talking the other week about “Kairos” moments, which means in ancient Greek, loosely translated, a right or opportune moment. Or in the context her and I were talking about, the way that we best connect with God. So, in a sense, the opportune moments for us to connect with God. Make sense? When she asked what my kairos moment(s) was/were I didn’t have to think twice.  Being with people, encouraging people, really TALKING with people, asking the “How’s your heart?” questi