Skip to main content

A ramble that led to reflections...

I sat down at the computer today and decided that I was going to force myself to write. So, what follows is an unplanned, unedited flow of thoughts from my brain to your eyes as you read this blog. When writing I find that I float along from one idea to another, unsure about what really to write about until it seems like something "fits" and it flows easily. That lovely "fitting" moment has not happened for me over the past few days. That's the thing though, if I always wait for that wonderful moment where words just easily flow I will probably never really write anything.

I find myself sometimes with an idea but I'm not in the "right" place or atmosphere to write and I just leave the idea on a shelf to come back to later. However, when I wander back to the shelf later to pick up the idea because I've found myself in this ideal environment I no longer really want to write. It's a conundrum. Actually, it's a conundrum that has a name. Perfectionism.

I had this moment in my first year of my Masters program when I was sitting in Personality Theories where I realized that the professor was very aptly describing me. She said that sometimes perfectionists procrastinate and leave things to the last minute, this way when they don't do well on the project they can just blame it on the fact that they did it at the last minute and it was rushed and that it's not about them personally or their intelligence or what-have-you.

I denied for many years that I was a perfectionist. Actually, I think I even wrote about that denial a tiny little bit on here one time. I was under the impression that perfectionists were only those who spent 100's of hours on papers and researched until the cows came home and edited their papers thousands of times and always got 90's on all of their assignments. I could always say that I wasn't anything like my idea of a perfectionist, so I denied that I was. However, sitting in that class, listening to my professor I realized that my tendency to procrastinate a bit and not put as much effort as I probably could have was because I feared finding out that I wasn't really enough. I think that there was a part of me that dutifully protected me by not really putting my full effort into things, that way I would never have to acknowledge that I wasn't the best at things. By procrastinating I was able to tell myself, indirectly, that I could be the best if I wanted but I just wasn't getting A+'s because I was always rushed to finish papers.

However, there are many flawed things in this idea...one- where I was placing and finding my worth, how I was determining that I was enough. Two, it really didn't help me feel any better about the grades that I received because I knew that I hadn't really done my best.

As I have continued in my schooling over these past three-ish years I have grappled with where I have found and sought my worth. Unfortunately, I discovered that I hadn't been seeking it in the best places-nor had I been seeking it in places that would remain constant and steady. These externals of life (school, beauty, relationships, etc.) go up and down, they are not constant and there is no way to guarantee that they will be, no matter how hard anyone tried to keep them steady. There are too many variables in life to guarantee perfection, no matter how hard we might try to control these variables or be perfect ourselves...there will always be a wrench in our plan. However, if my worth is based on something...Someone...who is constant, I will not find I have a need anymore for my perfectionism. Or, at least, I'll be less likely to hold on tightly to my perfectionism for my worth.

Now that I've begun writing I feel like I might be able to go on for a while about this topic, and maybe I will on another day but today I need to sign off so I can work on a paper that I actually have to write instead of a blog post that has no real consequential effect on my schooling or professional career. Cherrio!
 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 6- Passages that have Impacted/Encouraged Me

 I have to try really hard not to begin these posts with "so". Apparently, that is my go to starter word...which is odd but true. I skipped yesterday due to the cold that was taking each member of our house captive one by one. Why is it never all at once? Sometimes this feels it would be easier than this long, drawn out affair we have been experiencing. Our youngest has had a fever for the past two days and while at first she handled it like a champ she, like all of us, only had so much to give before she just decided the whole being sick things sucks and is no over it. Anyway, I skipped yesterday and considered skipping today as well but then I felt like I wasn't really challenging myself then. So this might be another lighter post but the point was for me to write every day not write something groundbreaking every day (or ever!). So, when I looked at my list of things one that stuck out to me was Bible verses that have impacted me. I think that even if you aren't a

The Waterfall

About two weekends ago my best friend and I embarked on an adventure to go on a canoe trip all on our own. We were going to take on the wilderness, ferocious chipmunks and all! We only got lost once, it only took us one try to start a roaring fire- out of a desire for s'mores and spider dogs, not out of necessity, we never flipped our canoe, only got burnt a little bit and were shown and given many amazing things on our long weekend adventure. Let me start off by mentioning a small blessing that we received. If you have ever been on a long canoe trip you will join with me in celebrating this blessing! First, a little context. We launched out at about 11 in the morning, paddling strong towards our destination in the hot summer sun... or so we thought. Turns out a map reader I am not and we headed to the wrong end of the lake, don't ask me how this happened but it did. After portaging into the wrong lake, being told from some nice men that we were in fact at the wrong end of

My heart

I’ve been having a blast writing these blogs recently. I hope the 10 or so of you who read them are also having a blast reading them. :P  I had forgotten how much joy I get out of writing, for years it has been the way that I connected to God best, and also for a year or so it’s something I’ve stayed away from, for a variety of reasons. But that’s a blog post for another time, maybe tomorrow? ;) Or perhaps when I feel that’s the direction God is guiding my typing fingers.  My spiritual director and I were talking the other week about “Kairos” moments, which means in ancient Greek, loosely translated, a right or opportune moment. Or in the context her and I were talking about, the way that we best connect with God. So, in a sense, the opportune moments for us to connect with God. Make sense? When she asked what my kairos moment(s) was/were I didn’t have to think twice.  Being with people, encouraging people, really TALKING with people, asking the “How’s your heart?” questi