Skip to main content

A Long Hiatus

It has been a long time since I have written here, and I truly don't expect anyone to still be following along. However, recently I have realized that if I ever want to really write, and get deep into it again I need to make it a consistent habit. I have started so many stories and never finished them. So, this is me, declaring to the solarverse (think Jim Gaffigan) that I am back- though certainly not with a vengeance.

I believe that there is great insight that can be gained through reflection and analysis of the world, this is probably why I have pursued becoming a counsellor and also why I love learning and also teaching. Blogs, allow a medium for that reflection but in a different way than a journal might. In journaling all that is really important is that you know what you are talking about and there is no need to explain a concept so someone else can understand it. When blogging you're kind of forced to actually explain your perspectives, ideas and experiences in a way that other people can also understand them and join with them. So the plan is to go back to trying to write a post every day. For a while I'm just going to follow some sort of guideline just to get me writing again, then hopefully eventually my creative juices will actually start to flow again after a long-ish, cold winter.

So, upon some self-reflection and pondering and reading back over old posts I realized that one of the "30 Things" that I never answered about myself was my 5 Greatest Strengths. For some reason it is much more difficult for me to write about how great I am, BUT I am going to do it. I have already run through the list with a friend because they "made me" do it the other week.

1. I am able to find humour in everyday life and almost every situation. I try to do this in appropriate situations obviously, but every once and a while I find humour in a situation where there should potentially not be humour. I was one of those kids who sometimes had to hold back laughter when we were yelled at in class. However, on reflection this was probably less likely due to my ability to find humour in every situation and more likely says something about my discomfort when people express anger.

2. I am empathetic. I try to meet people where they are at and often really feel with people. I hope that this is something that makes me a good and effective counsellor.

3. Related to my empathy I think is the fact that I am understanding. I try to take other people's perspectives (try being the operative word here...) and really understand their story and approach to their life and situations. There is something incredibly enriching to me to hear how other people approach life, so often I learn something helpful or am given something to reflect on.

4. I am thoughtful, in two ways I guess. I like to think a lot about things and analyze and process the world around me and ideas. This, obviously has it's benefits and detriments. Secondly, I am thoughtful regarding other people and my interactions with them.

5. I have a pretty good memory for facts about people...this is particularly helpful in the line of work I am pursuing. I wish that this memory extended to facts and information in other areas but unfortunately it does not. So, while I can tell you a lot of details and things about a person I just talked to I could not for the life of me remember anything I learned about neurobiology in university...except for something about synapses...

So, there you have it, we're off to a bit of a rough start but I am hoping it will improve as time goes on. See you tomorrow world!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 6- Passages that have Impacted/Encouraged Me

 I have to try really hard not to begin these posts with "so". Apparently, that is my go to starter word...which is odd but true. I skipped yesterday due to the cold that was taking each member of our house captive one by one. Why is it never all at once? Sometimes this feels it would be easier than this long, drawn out affair we have been experiencing. Our youngest has had a fever for the past two days and while at first she handled it like a champ she, like all of us, only had so much to give before she just decided the whole being sick things sucks and is no over it. Anyway, I skipped yesterday and considered skipping today as well but then I felt like I wasn't really challenging myself then. So this might be another lighter post but the point was for me to write every day not write something groundbreaking every day (or ever!). So, when I looked at my list of things one that stuck out to me was Bible verses that have impacted me. I think that even if you aren't a

The Waterfall

About two weekends ago my best friend and I embarked on an adventure to go on a canoe trip all on our own. We were going to take on the wilderness, ferocious chipmunks and all! We only got lost once, it only took us one try to start a roaring fire- out of a desire for s'mores and spider dogs, not out of necessity, we never flipped our canoe, only got burnt a little bit and were shown and given many amazing things on our long weekend adventure. Let me start off by mentioning a small blessing that we received. If you have ever been on a long canoe trip you will join with me in celebrating this blessing! First, a little context. We launched out at about 11 in the morning, paddling strong towards our destination in the hot summer sun... or so we thought. Turns out a map reader I am not and we headed to the wrong end of the lake, don't ask me how this happened but it did. After portaging into the wrong lake, being told from some nice men that we were in fact at the wrong end of

My heart

I’ve been having a blast writing these blogs recently. I hope the 10 or so of you who read them are also having a blast reading them. :P  I had forgotten how much joy I get out of writing, for years it has been the way that I connected to God best, and also for a year or so it’s something I’ve stayed away from, for a variety of reasons. But that’s a blog post for another time, maybe tomorrow? ;) Or perhaps when I feel that’s the direction God is guiding my typing fingers.  My spiritual director and I were talking the other week about “Kairos” moments, which means in ancient Greek, loosely translated, a right or opportune moment. Or in the context her and I were talking about, the way that we best connect with God. So, in a sense, the opportune moments for us to connect with God. Make sense? When she asked what my kairos moment(s) was/were I didn’t have to think twice.  Being with people, encouraging people, really TALKING with people, asking the “How’s your heart?” questi