Skip to main content

What I've Learned from Sherlock

I'm not sure how many of you keep up with TV, more specifically British telly. Anywhoo, there is an awesome show called Sherlock, which is, obviously, about Sherlock Holmes in a modern day setting. I love it...Rob loves it...life is good. It's suspenseful, witty and fun. Anyway, this is not a promotion for the show.

I'm currently trying to figure out how much to fill you guys in on this show in order to catch you up so I can make my point. I'll do a quick summary, which I'm known for by the way, quick summaries...

Sherlock, is very, very smart. Some may call him a genius, including himself, though he is lacking in the somewhat key type of intelligence of the emotional variety. Anyway, at times he's a little blunt and likes to show off. He will state things that he has concluded in a glance and then ask people how they could not see it, wondering at what goes on in their ordinary minds... as though it was obvious from the jacket the person was wearing what their marriage was like. So, Sherlock is an amateur detective who the police go to when they are stuck on a case and he comes through every time.

Watson, Sherlock's partner- somewhat unwillingly at the beginning, joins Sherlock on his adventures of investigation. The two become friends, understanding each other in a way only close friends can. Watson possesses a level of emotional intelligence that Sherlock does not, and in this way they greatly compliment each other.

I will now state what I have learned in point form...as it just seems easier.

1. Don't become enemies with a psychopathic genius...it never ends well.

2. Sherlock has taught me that I look deeper into characters than perhaps most people do when watching TV shows or movies, or perhaps I just do so more than Rob. I think this is why I cry easily in movies and TV shows...and books. I become invested in the characters and create a story beyond the surface. I look beyond what the story is telling me and see how each character is connected to other characters, even if they are not mentioned. As Rob and I were watching Sherlock and the villain was being all genius and creepy and psychopathic I was just sitting there thinking "What caused him to be like this? What's his past like? Where are his parents? His family? Did they mention this already? Will they get into it more? Why did he turn out like this and Sherlock the way he did? I wonder what his IQ is? Did he stay in school? It can't be purely biological...it has to do with the environment as well..." And I say out loud to Rob, "Why is he like that?" and Rob chuckles, looks at me and says, "You really are a counselor."

3. Sherlock has taught me that friendships are incredibly important. When all others might lose faith in you or give up on you, your friends are there to stand by you and support you. The things is, sometimes you need your friends to remind you who you really are. Sometimes this means that they call you out on things (like when Watson calls Sherlock out on being too blunt) and sometimes this means that they lovingly tell you that you are valuable and loved and lovable. Friendship is key, without authentic, deep relationships I don't believe we can really function to our potential.

4. Sherlock has taught me that everything sounds smarter/wittier/funnier when said in a British accent. Therefore, from now on when I am uncertain as to how funny a joke or story is I will tell it in a British accent. Please go back and read this whole post in a British accent...thank-you.

5. Sherlock has taught me that mysteries are the best. Mysteries are especially the best when you figure them out before the main characters do. This is why I love Castle... I love it when I figure it out before Castle and Beckett do. Sherlock has also taught me that it is not always possible to figure out the mystery before the characters do...especially when one of them is a genius.

6. Sherlock has taught me that even the smartest person can be wrong sometimes. It's OK to not be perfect...right?! Guys?!

7. Sherlock has taught me that taxis in London are not to be trusted but that landlady's in London are. I'm storing away this info for when I backpack Europe. Taxis = bad. Landlady's = good. I'm not sure how solid this information is.

Anyway, that is what I've learned. Mostly as I've been watching it I've been appreciating my close friendships and feeling very blessed. Huzzah for friendship! It truly is the best.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 6- Passages that have Impacted/Encouraged Me

 I have to try really hard not to begin these posts with "so". Apparently, that is my go to starter word...which is odd but true. I skipped yesterday due to the cold that was taking each member of our house captive one by one. Why is it never all at once? Sometimes this feels it would be easier than this long, drawn out affair we have been experiencing. Our youngest has had a fever for the past two days and while at first she handled it like a champ she, like all of us, only had so much to give before she just decided the whole being sick things sucks and is no over it. Anyway, I skipped yesterday and considered skipping today as well but then I felt like I wasn't really challenging myself then. So this might be another lighter post but the point was for me to write every day not write something groundbreaking every day (or ever!). So, when I looked at my list of things one that stuck out to me was Bible verses that have impacted me. I think that even if you aren't a

Starting Again

 Here we go again. I've decided (once again) that I really need and want to start writing again. How is this going to happen with one kid that won't leave my side and another that is pretty indifferent to sleep? I'm not sure but I'm going to try. I'm never entirely sure where to start when I start writing again. Do I follow prompts? Just write whatever the heck I want? A combination of the two? I've considered starting writing again without any connection to who I am...to allow myself to write more freely. Right now that thought is still on the table to be honest. I think the greater growing experience for me, however, would be to put myself in a situation where I journey let go of the pressure and expectations I put on myself for my writing to be something "spectacular" and to just write. Basically, I think what I'm going to do is an advent calendar of writing. Leading up to Christmas, for 25 days, I'm going to commit to writing something. It

My heart

I’ve been having a blast writing these blogs recently. I hope the 10 or so of you who read them are also having a blast reading them. :P  I had forgotten how much joy I get out of writing, for years it has been the way that I connected to God best, and also for a year or so it’s something I’ve stayed away from, for a variety of reasons. But that’s a blog post for another time, maybe tomorrow? ;) Or perhaps when I feel that’s the direction God is guiding my typing fingers.  My spiritual director and I were talking the other week about “Kairos” moments, which means in ancient Greek, loosely translated, a right or opportune moment. Or in the context her and I were talking about, the way that we best connect with God. So, in a sense, the opportune moments for us to connect with God. Make sense? When she asked what my kairos moment(s) was/were I didn’t have to think twice.  Being with people, encouraging people, really TALKING with people, asking the “How’s your heart?” questi