Skip to main content

Still Waters

There’s something absolutely wonderful about Psalm 23, don’t you think? It was brought back to mind for me last week and it has been something that has been guiding my prayers. There’s so much goodness in this passage, but I just want to focus on one part today...the bolded part.

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
he restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness
for his name’s sake.
Even though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death,a
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD
forever.

I love that it is, at least in this translation, that the Lord makes the writer lie down in green pastures. So often I feel we need to be forced to take a break and to rest by quiet waters so that our souls can be restored. So often we feel as though we shouldn’t need to break, we should always have the strength we need without actually having to fuel up again. From my own life I have realized that this doesn’t really work too well for me. As I was thinking about this Psalm and about what it means for me as I move forward in my walk with Christ I just had this image pop into my head and I thought I would share it with you all.

Teresa walked tentatively along the luscious green grass, stepping slowly and letting her feet drag slightly as she walked. The cool grass felt wonderful on her bare feet and she was aware of each blade touching the bottom of her feet. The sunlight poured down and warmed her face and the breeze lightly danced twirling around the wisps of her curly hair that had escaped from her ponytail. She stood, her face toward the sun, with her eyes closed and her shoulders back but relaxed. She could hear the gurgling of a brook nearby and the thought of it refreshed her. She listened to the sounds around her, the wind in the trees, the brook, the birds, and her breathing, slow and steady. She breathed in deeply and headed softly and slowly toward the sound of the brook.

As she approached the brook the space around her opened up, a large expanse of open field ran along one side of the brook. The trees shrunk back and the sun beamed brightly on the grass, making the green more deep and brilliant than anything Teresa had ever seen before. A smile stretched across her face and she leaned down to roll up her pant legs so that she could dip her feet into the inviting water. As she walked along in the refreshing water she felt the weight that had been present on her heart at the beginning of the day melt away. She felt a peace overwhelm her that she could not explain. Teresa climbed out of the water and sat on the grass staring down the brook and into the lush wilderness surrounding this oasis. Her feet soaked in the warmth of the sun after being cooled off in the water. Teresa closed her eyes and lifted her face toward the sun and smiled. She had not wanted to come here this morning. She had so much to do, so much that needed to be done and she knew that she could push through it, get it all done and be fine with that. She had put this off for so long, because each time she would accomplish all the things that life had handed to her she would wake up the next morning and life would have just piled more things to be accomplished on her desk. Yet something this morning prompted and urged her to put off those things and to go find rest. She knew that her Father had called her there, she knew that it was Him that told her that enough was enough. She needed to go to Him and find strength and rejuvenation in His presence. He led her to this place with a promise to restore her soul, and He had.

She knew that He was there, surrounding her with His peace and protection. That he was making her lie down in green pastures, leading her by still waters and restoring her soul. She had forgotten the peace that she found in His presence when she sought it, sometimes it was a peace that filled her soul and sometimes it was a reminder of the peace that she knew He provided. He always knew her need and always provided in His perfect timing.

Teresa stood, and stretched. Allowing the sun to soak into her skin and feeling the soft grass under her feet. She turned away from the brook and the sun warmed her back. She walked slowly and softly back toward the trees with knowledge of a peace that surpassed her understanding.  She walked back toward the life that her Father was calling her to live, with a new strength in her heart and peace in her soul. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 6- Passages that have Impacted/Encouraged Me

 I have to try really hard not to begin these posts with "so". Apparently, that is my go to starter word...which is odd but true. I skipped yesterday due to the cold that was taking each member of our house captive one by one. Why is it never all at once? Sometimes this feels it would be easier than this long, drawn out affair we have been experiencing. Our youngest has had a fever for the past two days and while at first she handled it like a champ she, like all of us, only had so much to give before she just decided the whole being sick things sucks and is no over it. Anyway, I skipped yesterday and considered skipping today as well but then I felt like I wasn't really challenging myself then. So this might be another lighter post but the point was for me to write every day not write something groundbreaking every day (or ever!). So, when I looked at my list of things one that stuck out to me was Bible verses that have impacted me. I think that even if you aren't a

Starting Again

 Here we go again. I've decided (once again) that I really need and want to start writing again. How is this going to happen with one kid that won't leave my side and another that is pretty indifferent to sleep? I'm not sure but I'm going to try. I'm never entirely sure where to start when I start writing again. Do I follow prompts? Just write whatever the heck I want? A combination of the two? I've considered starting writing again without any connection to who I am...to allow myself to write more freely. Right now that thought is still on the table to be honest. I think the greater growing experience for me, however, would be to put myself in a situation where I journey let go of the pressure and expectations I put on myself for my writing to be something "spectacular" and to just write. Basically, I think what I'm going to do is an advent calendar of writing. Leading up to Christmas, for 25 days, I'm going to commit to writing something. It

My heart

I’ve been having a blast writing these blogs recently. I hope the 10 or so of you who read them are also having a blast reading them. :P  I had forgotten how much joy I get out of writing, for years it has been the way that I connected to God best, and also for a year or so it’s something I’ve stayed away from, for a variety of reasons. But that’s a blog post for another time, maybe tomorrow? ;) Or perhaps when I feel that’s the direction God is guiding my typing fingers.  My spiritual director and I were talking the other week about “Kairos” moments, which means in ancient Greek, loosely translated, a right or opportune moment. Or in the context her and I were talking about, the way that we best connect with God. So, in a sense, the opportune moments for us to connect with God. Make sense? When she asked what my kairos moment(s) was/were I didn’t have to think twice.  Being with people, encouraging people, really TALKING with people, asking the “How’s your heart?” questi