Skip to main content

This friend...

So, I have this friend who is really dear to me. He's done a lot for me in my life, one might say he's done everything for me in my life. I've known this friend for almost my whole life, I heard about him before I really met him. One day I just knew that I had to meet him, that I wanted to be his friend and that I didn't just want to hear about him, I wanted to know him. Our relationship has been full of a lot of ups and downs. You see, I can be a fickle person... surprising right? Often, I take more than I give and in this relationship it was, and is, a lot more take than it is give. Yet he stood by me.
This, to me, is his most confusing but amazing attribute.

There have often been times when I know I would have left my side. There have been many times that I would have quit the relationship had I been him. I would have told me to find another steady friend. If I were him there were definitely times I would have said "Forget this! You don't listen to my advice, you don't heed my warnings, you stop talking to me and you just don't try to listen to me at all." Luckily, I'm not him so I don't have to loose him and he never leaves.

I remember one of those times when I was continually not listening to his advice. One evening I was crying in my room because I realized how much I had hurt him, how much I had broken his heart by walking away from him and deciding to go my own way and to love another. I knew he loved me, yet I'd chosen someone else even though I knew his love was so much better than the man's love that I had gone to. I cried because I'd hurt him and I thought he'd never take me back and I knew I did not deserve for him to take me back. I cried in his arms and told him that I knew he would never forgive me and that I knew I didn't deserve his love. He spoke to me clearly and calmly in my pain and told me he would always forgive me and that his love for me would never run dry. How did I find a love like that?

A lot of my friends know him, and some of them know of him. Those who know him in the same way as me would probably agree that his forgiveness and love is completely unending. Unending! That's wild. I don't think I know anyone I could say that about, I know I couldn't say it about myself. I'm trying to grow in that direction, I'm trying to model myself like him. You could say he is love. In fact, if you met him you would say that.

The thing is, most people have heard of him, if you asked people if they'd heard of him they'd say "Sure, what about him?"

The thing is, what a lot of people don't know, or don't recognize if they do know, is that he has given his life for them. He has stood in the face of death for them and told it "Leave!" Yet, because his sacrifice has been poorly spoke of, or the people who have spoken of it have not spoken in love, people tell him that they don't need his sacrifice, that they don't care that he died for them. It hurts him, I hear it in his voice when he talks of them.

See, the problem is that my friend has been so poorly represented by those that say they are his closest friends. Been poorly spoken of because of people like me, who forget what he has done for them and who forget that he has asked them to live in love. He asks us to live in love because he loves me and you so much and wants others to know him because of the way we live and love.

I find it hard to talk about this friend sometimes, even though he's done so much for me. I find it hard because I'm never sure what people have heard about him, or what they've heard about those who say they are his best friends.

The thing is, a lot of people don't want to meet him or don't think they need him. A lot of people just shrug him off as another friend who will be more burden then freedom. I'm not saying he doesn't ask me to do anything and that life is always a breeze with him around, but I'm saying it's easier because he supports me and gives me hope for something bigger, much bigger than myself. Besides, I have freedom to make mistakes, not that I try to but I know that I'll be given the forgiveness I seek and I need. Don't we all need forgiveness. Forgiveness is so freeing.

I think you may have heard of my friend, he's kinda a pretty big deal ;). Him and his dad cause a lot of arguments, discussions and disagreements (They also have cause a lot of good things). In fact, in some way people have used them as excuses to start a lot of wars. Yet, some people deny that my friend and his dad even exist. Kind of unbelievable. As you can see he's made quite the impact.

I hope you know him, and if you don't I'd love for you to. I love to talk about him if people let me. I love to talk about what he's inspiring me to do, and who he's inspiring me to be and what things he's letting me know I need to figure out. He's so much more than I've explained and more than I'll ever be able to express. He's everything...you know?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 6- Passages that have Impacted/Encouraged Me

 I have to try really hard not to begin these posts with "so". Apparently, that is my go to starter word...which is odd but true. I skipped yesterday due to the cold that was taking each member of our house captive one by one. Why is it never all at once? Sometimes this feels it would be easier than this long, drawn out affair we have been experiencing. Our youngest has had a fever for the past two days and while at first she handled it like a champ she, like all of us, only had so much to give before she just decided the whole being sick things sucks and is no over it. Anyway, I skipped yesterday and considered skipping today as well but then I felt like I wasn't really challenging myself then. So this might be another lighter post but the point was for me to write every day not write something groundbreaking every day (or ever!). So, when I looked at my list of things one that stuck out to me was Bible verses that have impacted me. I think that even if you aren't a

Starting Again

 Here we go again. I've decided (once again) that I really need and want to start writing again. How is this going to happen with one kid that won't leave my side and another that is pretty indifferent to sleep? I'm not sure but I'm going to try. I'm never entirely sure where to start when I start writing again. Do I follow prompts? Just write whatever the heck I want? A combination of the two? I've considered starting writing again without any connection to who I am...to allow myself to write more freely. Right now that thought is still on the table to be honest. I think the greater growing experience for me, however, would be to put myself in a situation where I journey let go of the pressure and expectations I put on myself for my writing to be something "spectacular" and to just write. Basically, I think what I'm going to do is an advent calendar of writing. Leading up to Christmas, for 25 days, I'm going to commit to writing something. It

My heart

I’ve been having a blast writing these blogs recently. I hope the 10 or so of you who read them are also having a blast reading them. :P  I had forgotten how much joy I get out of writing, for years it has been the way that I connected to God best, and also for a year or so it’s something I’ve stayed away from, for a variety of reasons. But that’s a blog post for another time, maybe tomorrow? ;) Or perhaps when I feel that’s the direction God is guiding my typing fingers.  My spiritual director and I were talking the other week about “Kairos” moments, which means in ancient Greek, loosely translated, a right or opportune moment. Or in the context her and I were talking about, the way that we best connect with God. So, in a sense, the opportune moments for us to connect with God. Make sense? When she asked what my kairos moment(s) was/were I didn’t have to think twice.  Being with people, encouraging people, really TALKING with people, asking the “How’s your heart?” questi