Skip to main content

Ma Man

Recently I've found myself feeling overwhelmingly and incredibly blessed to be married to my hubby. I think it's finally settling in, after 10 months! I cannot believe that it has been that long. Time has flown by! We've had a busy first year, and the plan is to take the busy level down a few notches in the coming months and year. As I've been thinking about how blessed I am I have begun to think back at the beginning of our relationship and all that came after that. This could be a long post. So hang in there.

Ah, the first time I saw him I fell smitten.

Just kidding.

We don't remember the first time we met, but I'm sure it was magical. ;) The first time we think we met each other was when a bunch of us went to chapter's and read children's books aloud to each other. Some of the favourites were If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Mortimer. These books later made an appearance at our wedding as some of the table markers. I remember thinking he seemed nice, but more interested in one of my friends and so I didn't really dwell on it.

I did take note of the fact that he drove stick, I like that in a man. It is very manly, don't you agree?

Then he practically disappeared from my life until the next fall when I switched churches. I started getting a ride with him to church from our residence with a few other people. I always got the front seat, because I'm tall. Or maybe because I'm less self-sacrificing then those who rode in the back?

Due to the car ride I had a chance to attempt to get him in conversation on the 15 minute drive to the church. Often, I was unsuccessful. I've learned that having deep conversations with him while he's driving normally doesn't work so well. He focuses on the driving, not on the talking. Him and I differ slightly on this point.

At this point in time we were spending more time together. He was two years ahead of me and living in the apartments associated with the residence I lived at. A lot of our friend groups had also combined, especially because of church but mostly just because we're drawn to similar people.

Over the next semester we spent more and more time together in groups and individually. I started to get the feeling he liked me but I had no idea how I felt. I was a mess of emotions, and have never been so great in the guy department. I was convinced I did not like him and I didn't know what to do.

We started procrastinating together through Facebook messages over mid-term time. We really got to know each other through these long Facebook messages, I found myself checking for them more often than I would like to admit. I learned that he was a really great, honest, caring guy and he made me laugh- which is another thing I like in a man.

He also ended up getting me for our residence's Secret Cupid, he wrote a funny story about Midenus Terminus and the Knight Eading Week who fought off the evil Medinus Terminus and then went on a date with the pretty girl from the third floor (that's me!). This threw me off his trail because in my mind mechanical engineers did not write funny and intelligent stories. I like to think that the fact he got me for Secret Cupid was a God thing.

We ended up talking late into the night one time right before reading week and after he left my roommate said, "So, what's happening with you two?" and I looked at her flabbergasted and totally shocked. "Me and Rob?! Nothing! We're just friends..." Oh, how I would eat those words later.

Many Facebook messages, conversations and moments of friends teasing me later someone finally told me that I needed to stop leading him on because as previously stated I was NOT interested, ha. So, I did the obvious thing. I stopped talking to him. Period.

That weekend my best friend came to visit and I told her what was going on. She looked at me and said, "Lysh, don't be stupid. That's not you. You wouldn't just stop talking to someone out of the blue." We decided it was better for me to just be more careful. By this time Rob has decided that I was a nut (rightfully so) and had given up.

Oh, I'd forgotten to tell you all. He had liked me during this whole time, a span of about three months when we were really getting to know each other. But I did not, I repeat did not like him, nope, not at all, not one bit. ;)

Then came the summer. I went back to Newmarket, he was working a coop job. Then I went on a missions trip to Taiwan. It was a great experience. I often find myself longing to go back, if only for the food and tea! While I was there he emailed me, and asked me how things were going. He teased me about sticking out because of my height, and told me what was going on back home. He seemed genuinely interested in how I was doing. This meant a lot to me- and is yet another thing I like in a man. So, while I was flying back to Canada I found myself thinking "I want to see Rob." I, being me, promptly pushed this thought out of my head. "Alysha, that's silly" I thought to myself, "You don't like Rob in THAT way, why would you want to see him?"

But I did. I just wouldn't admit it for another almost five months.

Over those next five months we hung out more, we talked more, he teased me more, we studied together more and my friends taunted me more. Finally, after many weeks of waking up with butterflies in my stomach I finally said to myself, "Alysha, you just need to admit to yourself the obvious. You like Rob." So, with that out of the way I took on the task of telling my friend/roommate, who had been teasing me and hanging out with Rob and I over the last two months. She looked at me when I told her, with a giggle in her eyes, and said, "I know. I've been waiting for you to figure it out."

A few weeks later we were dating. When I told my roommate who had asked me about a year before what was going on with us she said "I knew it was going to happen!" As we told people we seemed to get similar responses "I knew it was coming." "I thought so!" "Finally." and the like.

We told our one friend by just going to visit her and sitting on her couch and holding hands. This was because earlier we had done it to her as a joke because she figured he liked me and it's fun to tease her. She didn't know what to do with herself. It was wonderfully hilarious to watch her react.

The next year was full of ups and downs, hilarious moments and serious prayerful moments but within months we were beginning to think about forever...

To be continued.


Comments

  1. What fun to hear the whoe story! Hang on to this...SOMEDAY your kids will enjoy reading this!
    Hug!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 6- Passages that have Impacted/Encouraged Me

 I have to try really hard not to begin these posts with "so". Apparently, that is my go to starter word...which is odd but true. I skipped yesterday due to the cold that was taking each member of our house captive one by one. Why is it never all at once? Sometimes this feels it would be easier than this long, drawn out affair we have been experiencing. Our youngest has had a fever for the past two days and while at first she handled it like a champ she, like all of us, only had so much to give before she just decided the whole being sick things sucks and is no over it. Anyway, I skipped yesterday and considered skipping today as well but then I felt like I wasn't really challenging myself then. So this might be another lighter post but the point was for me to write every day not write something groundbreaking every day (or ever!). So, when I looked at my list of things one that stuck out to me was Bible verses that have impacted me. I think that even if you aren't a

Starting Again

 Here we go again. I've decided (once again) that I really need and want to start writing again. How is this going to happen with one kid that won't leave my side and another that is pretty indifferent to sleep? I'm not sure but I'm going to try. I'm never entirely sure where to start when I start writing again. Do I follow prompts? Just write whatever the heck I want? A combination of the two? I've considered starting writing again without any connection to who I am...to allow myself to write more freely. Right now that thought is still on the table to be honest. I think the greater growing experience for me, however, would be to put myself in a situation where I journey let go of the pressure and expectations I put on myself for my writing to be something "spectacular" and to just write. Basically, I think what I'm going to do is an advent calendar of writing. Leading up to Christmas, for 25 days, I'm going to commit to writing something. It

My heart

I’ve been having a blast writing these blogs recently. I hope the 10 or so of you who read them are also having a blast reading them. :P  I had forgotten how much joy I get out of writing, for years it has been the way that I connected to God best, and also for a year or so it’s something I’ve stayed away from, for a variety of reasons. But that’s a blog post for another time, maybe tomorrow? ;) Or perhaps when I feel that’s the direction God is guiding my typing fingers.  My spiritual director and I were talking the other week about “Kairos” moments, which means in ancient Greek, loosely translated, a right or opportune moment. Or in the context her and I were talking about, the way that we best connect with God. So, in a sense, the opportune moments for us to connect with God. Make sense? When she asked what my kairos moment(s) was/were I didn’t have to think twice.  Being with people, encouraging people, really TALKING with people, asking the “How’s your heart?” questi