Skip to main content

Parenting and such...

After a classmate made a comment in class today that learning about more of these personality and developmental theories made them really want to have kids and I realized something. I'm the complete opposite! The more I learn about these developmental stages, the ways that raising your children can hinder or encourage them, the more I see others parent, the closer Rob and I get to considering the possibility of having children of our own the more absolutely terrified I become.
As in my heart starts racing and I think, "God, how on EARTH are we supposed to raise children that love you, respect and love others, and have a heart for the lost and broken?!" This especially begins to happen when I think about being under the watchful eye of family...:S
I read a blog recently that just seemed to stir that little anxious ball inside me. Marriage and kids is hard! I think that anyone who tries to tell you differently is either lying or they've figured out a marvelous secret. :) So, I started thinking about it.
How do you make time for your marriage when you're in the rush of raising young children and being wiped because your infant got no sleep, and consequently neither did you? Especially when during those moments I want to talk and Rob wants to close himself in a room and not talk. :) Then I realized that in those moments, having a servant heart becomes even more important. To remember that while your needs are valid needs, that the other person has needs as well, and to be able to serve that person in your weakness is such a great gift. And one that can't happen unless you're being filled by God.
I know I'm talking about parenting from the side of never raising a child, and I know that all this will never be totally smooth and easy and that there will be bumps. But there is a reason that we are called to serve one another, and that it won't always be easy, it's because Christ did it for ME, for us.
Parents are the greatest examples of living a servant life, it's about your child and what they need, and sometimes what they want. Parenthood is about giving your all to your children so that they grow up knowing they are loved and valuable and capable. Obviously no parent is perfect, but that really isn't such a terrible thing. It gives the child the OK to have moments of imperfection and not be ashamed that they maybe failed at something. Obviously in saying this I'm NOT saying encourage your child to fail and be imperfect and to do whatever they want. :)
In the end I guess the answer to parenting is not to be the best parent you can be but to rely on God to be the best parent He helps you to be. To remember that you won't know all the answers but that He holds great wisdom. To know that at times you feel like you don't have anymore love left inside you but that God has everlasting love to pour over us and our children. To remember that when you don't have the patience, forgiveness, strength or wisdom that we can find this in Christ. What a relieving thought!
I know it's been a while, and this is a random post to start off on again. But it was just one of those thoughts  that I had, that I felt was worth sharing, and I was actually near a computer!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 6- Passages that have Impacted/Encouraged Me

 I have to try really hard not to begin these posts with "so". Apparently, that is my go to starter word...which is odd but true. I skipped yesterday due to the cold that was taking each member of our house captive one by one. Why is it never all at once? Sometimes this feels it would be easier than this long, drawn out affair we have been experiencing. Our youngest has had a fever for the past two days and while at first she handled it like a champ she, like all of us, only had so much to give before she just decided the whole being sick things sucks and is no over it. Anyway, I skipped yesterday and considered skipping today as well but then I felt like I wasn't really challenging myself then. So this might be another lighter post but the point was for me to write every day not write something groundbreaking every day (or ever!). So, when I looked at my list of things one that stuck out to me was Bible verses that have impacted me. I think that even if you aren't a

Starting Again

 Here we go again. I've decided (once again) that I really need and want to start writing again. How is this going to happen with one kid that won't leave my side and another that is pretty indifferent to sleep? I'm not sure but I'm going to try. I'm never entirely sure where to start when I start writing again. Do I follow prompts? Just write whatever the heck I want? A combination of the two? I've considered starting writing again without any connection to who I am...to allow myself to write more freely. Right now that thought is still on the table to be honest. I think the greater growing experience for me, however, would be to put myself in a situation where I journey let go of the pressure and expectations I put on myself for my writing to be something "spectacular" and to just write. Basically, I think what I'm going to do is an advent calendar of writing. Leading up to Christmas, for 25 days, I'm going to commit to writing something. It

My heart

I’ve been having a blast writing these blogs recently. I hope the 10 or so of you who read them are also having a blast reading them. :P  I had forgotten how much joy I get out of writing, for years it has been the way that I connected to God best, and also for a year or so it’s something I’ve stayed away from, for a variety of reasons. But that’s a blog post for another time, maybe tomorrow? ;) Or perhaps when I feel that’s the direction God is guiding my typing fingers.  My spiritual director and I were talking the other week about “Kairos” moments, which means in ancient Greek, loosely translated, a right or opportune moment. Or in the context her and I were talking about, the way that we best connect with God. So, in a sense, the opportune moments for us to connect with God. Make sense? When she asked what my kairos moment(s) was/were I didn’t have to think twice.  Being with people, encouraging people, really TALKING with people, asking the “How’s your heart?” questi