Skip to main content

The Stone

I've kept this stone and English pound in one of my jacket pockets for 7 and 3 years respectively. They have both provided grounding reminders for me throughout the years when I've put my hands into my pockets.

The stone, as you might be able to tell, had been polished by water before it was smoothed down further by my fingers. It was soothing to feel the near perfect curve from end to end as I fiddled with it. The pound is weighty, in a nice way, it was a reminder of wonderful time with friends...that I was never alone.

The other day when I put that jacket on again and touched the stone I was reminded that it had fallen and broken recently. The smooth curve from end to end is no longer there...it stops abruptly. As I fiddled with it in my pockets watching my boys meander along the side of the road I thought, "There has to be a message here." None came at the time so I tucked the thought away to ponder and pray about later.

The next day this thought came as I was watching The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe with my eldest..."Sometimes when we lose sight of God and what He is capable of we start to feel that things are impossible. It prompts us to try to repair things completely on our own." Depending on how well you know the story of the Lion, the Witch and The Wardrobe you might remember that in the movie version part of what prompts Edmund to reveal to the White Witch more of the truth of what he knew about his siblings was because of his fear and because he didn't know Aslan's power...or Aslan for that matter. So, when he saw Mr. Tumnus turned to stone it stuck fear into him and then when the the White Witch threatened to do the same again to a fox he stepped out to stop her.

This is partly a sign of courage, instead of sitting back and allowing another being to be turned to stone (which I can't imagine being pleasant) he spoke up with what he knew. This is also a sign that he didn't realize the extent of Aslan's power...he didn't know that Aslan could make all things right again. I realize that a part of this thought can quickly fall apart if you extrapolate it too far, but it made me think about us with God. Sometimes I think we deem things as impossible, un-fixable and unsolvable and so we start reacting out of fear or insecurity or whatever it may be in a desire to make things right and we start to forget that all things are possible with God.

Even that rock, that was once smooth and complete could be made complete again, for "if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to here' and it will move" (Matt. 17:20). God created that rock in the first place, or if you want to argue that the currents of the water did...then HE created that current, that water, this earth.

So, I guess this is a reminder that "WITH God all things are possible" (Matt. 19:26). This is a reminder I've had to hold onto over the past week...and also the truth that "in all things God works for the GOOD of those who love Him..."(Romans 8:28). When I wake up in the morning with all this uncertainty and all these little (and big losses) swirling around me I can forget and lose sight of God's incredible and inexhaustible ability to work all things for good. I hope that this is what this stone will remind me of in the future...I will choose to have it be this reminder.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 6- Passages that have Impacted/Encouraged Me

 I have to try really hard not to begin these posts with "so". Apparently, that is my go to starter word...which is odd but true. I skipped yesterday due to the cold that was taking each member of our house captive one by one. Why is it never all at once? Sometimes this feels it would be easier than this long, drawn out affair we have been experiencing. Our youngest has had a fever for the past two days and while at first she handled it like a champ she, like all of us, only had so much to give before she just decided the whole being sick things sucks and is no over it. Anyway, I skipped yesterday and considered skipping today as well but then I felt like I wasn't really challenging myself then. So this might be another lighter post but the point was for me to write every day not write something groundbreaking every day (or ever!). So, when I looked at my list of things one that stuck out to me was Bible verses that have impacted me. I think that even if you aren't a

Starting Again

 Here we go again. I've decided (once again) that I really need and want to start writing again. How is this going to happen with one kid that won't leave my side and another that is pretty indifferent to sleep? I'm not sure but I'm going to try. I'm never entirely sure where to start when I start writing again. Do I follow prompts? Just write whatever the heck I want? A combination of the two? I've considered starting writing again without any connection to who I am...to allow myself to write more freely. Right now that thought is still on the table to be honest. I think the greater growing experience for me, however, would be to put myself in a situation where I journey let go of the pressure and expectations I put on myself for my writing to be something "spectacular" and to just write. Basically, I think what I'm going to do is an advent calendar of writing. Leading up to Christmas, for 25 days, I'm going to commit to writing something. It

My heart

I’ve been having a blast writing these blogs recently. I hope the 10 or so of you who read them are also having a blast reading them. :P  I had forgotten how much joy I get out of writing, for years it has been the way that I connected to God best, and also for a year or so it’s something I’ve stayed away from, for a variety of reasons. But that’s a blog post for another time, maybe tomorrow? ;) Or perhaps when I feel that’s the direction God is guiding my typing fingers.  My spiritual director and I were talking the other week about “Kairos” moments, which means in ancient Greek, loosely translated, a right or opportune moment. Or in the context her and I were talking about, the way that we best connect with God. So, in a sense, the opportune moments for us to connect with God. Make sense? When she asked what my kairos moment(s) was/were I didn’t have to think twice.  Being with people, encouraging people, really TALKING with people, asking the “How’s your heart?” questi