Skip to main content

Some Late Night Thoughts

Tuesdays are turning out not to be a good sleeping night for me, which is unfortunate due to the fact that I have to wake up at 5:15 in the morning to get ready to leave for school. If I had a bad night sleeping on say, Thursday, Friday or Saturday it wouldn't be so bad. But, alas, Tuesdays seem to be the day. 

Last night before I went to bed I decided to read through some devotionals because I knew that I wasn't tired and that my mind was racing. First, I read through My Utmost for His Highest, which I really enjoy, and it was talking about how sometimes we need to pour ourselves out as a sacrificial offering and that there should come a time in our walk that we are willing to do this without receiving any recognition for our work. Oswald Chambers was talking about how there are times where we will "be poured out as a drink offering upon the sacrificial offering" and that we will feel worn out with nothing left to give. He was saying that this is something that we should rejoice in, to be able to be used for the work of the Kingdom without any recognition of our work. 


I mostly agrees with this. We should desire to work for the Kingdom without recognition and we need to realize that sometimes  this  means that we will be poured out and have nothing left to give, only to find that God gives us more strength, joy and hope in those moments. At the same time I think that it can be detrimental if we think that this is how it should always be and never give ourselves the chance to rest, to be filled again so that we can pour ourselves out again. We need to be sure that our focus stays on God and there comes a point when we have been pouring ourselves out and serving and offering ourselves as a sacrifice for so long that we need to go into peace and rest in God's presence and take a break from our service. 


Next, I picked up this wonderful devotional called The One Year Daily Grind by Sarah Arthur. Y'all this book is fantastic. I think I've mentioned it before, and I cannot tell you the countless times that God used this book to speak to my heart where it was at. Such a blessing. 


So, I picked it up again last night and found this happening yet again. She was talking about Job and about the fact that at the end of the story when his friends, the ones who "have it all together", are told by God to repent and go to Job for prayer and the fact that God was sending Job's friends to him...the one who was brokenhearted and hurting. Sarah Arthur was saying that this is opposite to the way we think, we do not often go to those who are brokenhearted for prayer. Which, you know, to a certain extent makes sense. But this is what she said, "The Lord is close to the brokenhearted; which means that if the rest of us want to get close to God, we seek them out-not because of what we could possible offer them, as if we're the spiritual first responders on the scene to save the day, but because we recognize how much they have to teach us about who God really is."


She then went on to suggest reading Psalm 34:18-22. Which reads:


The Lord is near to the brokenhearted

and saves the crushed in spirit.
Many are the afflictions of the righteous,
but the Lord delivers him out of them all.
He keeps all his bones;
not one of them is broken.
Afflictions will slay the wicked
and those who hate the righteous will be condemned.
The Lord redeems the life of His servants;
none of those who take refuge in Him will be condemned.

Now, in my silliness I left my journal out in the car and am not feeling the desire to go out and get it so I'll just go for it anew here. There is something about this Psalm that rang so clear in my heart yesterday. If I look back at some of the harder moments in my life God was definitely more present to me. Even when I look back at times where God did not feel present to me I realize how close he was to me in those moments. He has often saved my "crushed spirit" renewing me and healing me when I felt that I was unfixable (apparently not a word but whatever) and not worth fixing. 


The other thing I love about this passage is that while the afflictions of the righteous are many that they will be delivered from them...whereas the wicked will be slain by their afflictions. The thing that I am realizing is that when I have poured myself out and am brokenhearted and "crushed in spirit" that God is near me to restore me and refresh me...all I have to do is go into His presence. The Lord will redeem us when we are brokenhearted, it may not be in the timing that we desire but it will happen, we have to trust in His timing. There was something else I was reading the other day that talked about the fact that trust sometimes proceeds faith, that in the moments when we cannot feel His presence we need to TRUST in His presence. We need to go through trails for our faith to be strengthened and while we would prefer that this not be the case, who are we to question how God works? God knows our "inmost being" and knows when we rise and is "acquainted with all [our] ways" (Psalm 139). How amazing, to have someone who knows us so intimately...also how frightening! Yet, in knowing us so intimately God stilled loved us in our imperfections and mistakes and junk. In fact He loves us so deeply that "while we were still sinners, Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8). How amazing!


I'm amazed by the way that God continues to reveal to me the ways in which He has been working in my heart that I had not even noticed. Something that I have read hundreds of times all of a sudden has new meaning and depth, I love the way this happens. I love the way that God works where and when we least expect Him to be. 


"The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost." (1 Timothy 1:15)  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 6- Passages that have Impacted/Encouraged Me

 I have to try really hard not to begin these posts with "so". Apparently, that is my go to starter word...which is odd but true. I skipped yesterday due to the cold that was taking each member of our house captive one by one. Why is it never all at once? Sometimes this feels it would be easier than this long, drawn out affair we have been experiencing. Our youngest has had a fever for the past two days and while at first she handled it like a champ she, like all of us, only had so much to give before she just decided the whole being sick things sucks and is no over it. Anyway, I skipped yesterday and considered skipping today as well but then I felt like I wasn't really challenging myself then. So this might be another lighter post but the point was for me to write every day not write something groundbreaking every day (or ever!). So, when I looked at my list of things one that stuck out to me was Bible verses that have impacted me. I think that even if you aren't a

Starting Again

 Here we go again. I've decided (once again) that I really need and want to start writing again. How is this going to happen with one kid that won't leave my side and another that is pretty indifferent to sleep? I'm not sure but I'm going to try. I'm never entirely sure where to start when I start writing again. Do I follow prompts? Just write whatever the heck I want? A combination of the two? I've considered starting writing again without any connection to who I am...to allow myself to write more freely. Right now that thought is still on the table to be honest. I think the greater growing experience for me, however, would be to put myself in a situation where I journey let go of the pressure and expectations I put on myself for my writing to be something "spectacular" and to just write. Basically, I think what I'm going to do is an advent calendar of writing. Leading up to Christmas, for 25 days, I'm going to commit to writing something. It

My heart

I’ve been having a blast writing these blogs recently. I hope the 10 or so of you who read them are also having a blast reading them. :P  I had forgotten how much joy I get out of writing, for years it has been the way that I connected to God best, and also for a year or so it’s something I’ve stayed away from, for a variety of reasons. But that’s a blog post for another time, maybe tomorrow? ;) Or perhaps when I feel that’s the direction God is guiding my typing fingers.  My spiritual director and I were talking the other week about “Kairos” moments, which means in ancient Greek, loosely translated, a right or opportune moment. Or in the context her and I were talking about, the way that we best connect with God. So, in a sense, the opportune moments for us to connect with God. Make sense? When she asked what my kairos moment(s) was/were I didn’t have to think twice.  Being with people, encouraging people, really TALKING with people, asking the “How’s your heart?” questi