Skip to main content

Writing, Gifting, and Learning

There have been so many things on my mind lately that I just don't know where to start. Yesterday before bed I was reading my Bible and just reflecting in a journal and I wrote that I felt like my thoughts were like mosquitos at the end of May, there were so many of them just flying around. I could hear them, that annoying buzzing noise, but they weren't landing so I couldn't capture any of them. Do you guys know what I mean?!

Part of what has been on my mind is writing and how much I have learned that I love it over the years. I especially find that I am more in love with writing and feel myself drawn to writing more when I'm reading something that inspires me. I found that when I was taking a particularly inspiring English course in university the amount that I wrote would sky rocket. When I read C.S. Lewis I find myself sitting there with pictures just running through my mind that inspire me and make me want to pick up my computer and write. I love C.S. Lewis.

I was talking with a good friend of mine the other day about spiritual gifts and talents. I believe that we can have talents (ex. musicality, athleticism, singing) that are not related to our spiritual gifts. I realized that for myself my spiritual gifting and what I have talent in are quite related. Writing has been a talent that I have worked on over the years, it's something I love and often entertained the idea in my early university years of pursuing as a side career in it once I graduated. I think that this blog has been a way for me to pursue this dream in a way that I feel comfortable.

When I say writing I don't mean essays. OH boy, not essays! I've always found it hard to write essays because it is not my style of writing, it becomes impersonal and forced. I've loved doing my Masters for this reason. I feel that I have learned how to write in my own personal style, while still being academic and objective. It's fun to look back at my writing and see how it's changed over the years.

I have been learning SO much lately, I feel like God is challenging me in a lot of areas and I'm so excited about what He is teaching me through those around me. I have been realizing the power of prayer and of being real in prayer, crying out in frustration if that is how we feel. He has been showing me just how powerful His redemption is and the JOY that His redemption brings! God is showing me that there is nothing I can do apart from His power. He is showing me that I am a fallen creation but that I am being made new!

This next year holds many exciting adventures. They are little adventures but exciting adventures non-the-less because I know they hold times of great conversation, of basking in the presence of God, of praising God for His work, of spending time in His creation, of laughter, of tears, and times of deepening great friendships.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 6- Passages that have Impacted/Encouraged Me

 I have to try really hard not to begin these posts with "so". Apparently, that is my go to starter word...which is odd but true. I skipped yesterday due to the cold that was taking each member of our house captive one by one. Why is it never all at once? Sometimes this feels it would be easier than this long, drawn out affair we have been experiencing. Our youngest has had a fever for the past two days and while at first she handled it like a champ she, like all of us, only had so much to give before she just decided the whole being sick things sucks and is no over it. Anyway, I skipped yesterday and considered skipping today as well but then I felt like I wasn't really challenging myself then. So this might be another lighter post but the point was for me to write every day not write something groundbreaking every day (or ever!). So, when I looked at my list of things one that stuck out to me was Bible verses that have impacted me. I think that even if you aren't a

Starting Again

 Here we go again. I've decided (once again) that I really need and want to start writing again. How is this going to happen with one kid that won't leave my side and another that is pretty indifferent to sleep? I'm not sure but I'm going to try. I'm never entirely sure where to start when I start writing again. Do I follow prompts? Just write whatever the heck I want? A combination of the two? I've considered starting writing again without any connection to who I am...to allow myself to write more freely. Right now that thought is still on the table to be honest. I think the greater growing experience for me, however, would be to put myself in a situation where I journey let go of the pressure and expectations I put on myself for my writing to be something "spectacular" and to just write. Basically, I think what I'm going to do is an advent calendar of writing. Leading up to Christmas, for 25 days, I'm going to commit to writing something. It

My heart

I’ve been having a blast writing these blogs recently. I hope the 10 or so of you who read them are also having a blast reading them. :P  I had forgotten how much joy I get out of writing, for years it has been the way that I connected to God best, and also for a year or so it’s something I’ve stayed away from, for a variety of reasons. But that’s a blog post for another time, maybe tomorrow? ;) Or perhaps when I feel that’s the direction God is guiding my typing fingers.  My spiritual director and I were talking the other week about “Kairos” moments, which means in ancient Greek, loosely translated, a right or opportune moment. Or in the context her and I were talking about, the way that we best connect with God. So, in a sense, the opportune moments for us to connect with God. Make sense? When she asked what my kairos moment(s) was/were I didn’t have to think twice.  Being with people, encouraging people, really TALKING with people, asking the “How’s your heart?” questi