Skip to main content

Trust

The idea of trust in God has continually been on my mind recently. The realization that there can be an incredible amount of peace that will consume my life if I can trust that God is good, that He will work in the ways that are in line with who He has shown himself to be throughout my life and throughout history. I am inconsistent with my devotional readings, however, whenever I have picked it up recently they have been talking about trust, specifically trusting God with my children. 

However, some of them have just reminded me of the importance of trusting that the Holy Spirit can and will work in the lives of those I love. There was one from May 27th (the devotional is by Nancy Guthrie and it's called The One Year Praying Through the Bible For Your Kids) and this is what I underlined, "We are never meant to be the Holy Spirit to them. In fact, we can't be. Instead we are meant to trust that the Holy Spirit will do his work of comforting, convicting, teaching and guiding in their lives". It just felt like a breath of relief... a reminder that I do not need to be nor am I in control. It was a reminder that I do not have to parent perfectly in order for my children to grow up with a strong faith in God. 

After our middle was born I really struggled emotionally and mentally and some one said to me (and I wish I could remember who, if it was you...please tell me) that God's mercies are new every morning and reminded me that I can start each day fresh. I found after that I was able to shift some mornings, to remember not to carry yesterday into today and to also release myself and my kids to God.

I don't perfectly parent...ever...I know. Shocking. 😆 The thing that gives me the most comfort at the end of the day when I realize a question I forgot to ask, or an opportunity I missed or a unkind and unloving way I responded to my kids is that God has them and that His Holy Spirit is working in them and comforting them and hearing them and providing for them. He fills the gaps.

This gives me so much peace...a peace that surpasses understanding (Philipians 4:7). It helps me to respond less in panic when one of them does something super unkind to their sibling or seems to have developed a much less than desirable trait. I don't have to panic and fix it all myself (even though there may be things for me to do) because I can trust that God will do His loving, compassionate and gracious work in them. 

On a complete and utter side note...I'm working on developing a new little side project that will be tapping more into my professional knowledge and skills. So keep an eye out for that and follow along if it interests you!

I hope that these thoughts on trust encourage you. Not only if you're a parent but if there's someone in your life that You desperately want to see wrapped in the arms of Jesus...know that the Holy Spirit is active and loving and pursuing and unfailing. The Holy Spirit is just as desperate for them to know God and His goodness and love and graciousness as you are. Have hope, dear friend.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 6- Passages that have Impacted/Encouraged Me

 I have to try really hard not to begin these posts with "so". Apparently, that is my go to starter word...which is odd but true. I skipped yesterday due to the cold that was taking each member of our house captive one by one. Why is it never all at once? Sometimes this feels it would be easier than this long, drawn out affair we have been experiencing. Our youngest has had a fever for the past two days and while at first she handled it like a champ she, like all of us, only had so much to give before she just decided the whole being sick things sucks and is now over it. Anyway, I skipped yesterday and considered skipping today as well but then I felt like I wasn't really challenging myself then. So this might be another lighter post but the point was for me to write every day not write something groundbreaking every day (or ever!). So, when I looked at my list of things one that stuck out to me was Bible verses that have impacted me. I think that even if you aren't a

Starting Again

 Here we go again. I've decided (once again) that I really need and want to start writing again. How is this going to happen with one kid that won't leave my side and another that is pretty indifferent to sleep? I'm not sure but I'm going to try. I'm never entirely sure where to start when I start writing again. Do I follow prompts? Just write whatever the heck I want? A combination of the two? I've considered starting writing again without any connection to who I am...to allow myself to write more freely. Right now that thought is still on the table to be honest. I think the greater growing experience for me, however, would be to put myself in a situation where I journey let go of the pressure and expectations I put on myself for my writing to be something "spectacular" and to just write. Basically, I think what I'm going to do is an advent calendar of writing. Leading up to Christmas, for 25 days, I'm going to commit to writing something. It

Fall Excitement!

Is anyone else excited for fall?! The trees are beautiful and there is that particular smell in the air that makes me go, "Ahh..." While I am definitely a summer girl, I may have a wavering dedication to summer because of fall. Fall is beautiful, fall means pumpkin pie, fall means sweaters, fall means cozy homes filled with wonderful smells. Some of you know that I'm down in Toronto three days and two nights a week. Honestly, in some ways this has been wonderful for our marriage! But it doesn't change the fact that I miss being around Rob, and our home.  Side note: Do any of you find you have an addiction to exclamation points? I always find myself having to restrict my use of them or using :)'s to show it is a happy exclamation and not an angry one. I was going to write this post about this coming (and by coming I mean past) weekend, which for us here Canadians was all about Thanksgiving. But by the time I got around to actually writing this blog the Th