Skip to main content

Birthday Reflections

As the day of my birth arrives I've been having some conversations around goals for my next year of life as well as just reflections on life so far. I'm still young, a spring chicken in some ways, I like to think. 

I've been reflecting on the fact that I'm not particularly career driven. This feels like a shameful fact to admit. Don't get me wrong...I love my work and I seek to do it well. It is an incredible honour and privilege to do the work that I do. It is more rewarding, humbling and inspiring than I ever could have predicted. I cannot picture myself doing anything else. 

But in that I'm not focused on basing my success on my career success. I have written and deleted so many sentence in an attempt to explain this and I now think I understand why my husband hates so much to fill out random personality tests I excitedly present to him. There are just too many variables to explain. Would I pick a seminar on a topic on something that would be useful to my work over meeting a friend for coffee? Maybe. But if I hadn't seen that friend in a while or was just missing them and could access the seminar at another time...I'd go with the friend. 

In high school and university this played out in that I would study enough to understand and pass but not enough to miss out on time or good late night talks with friends. I think I often felt like this meant there was something wrong with me because I wasn't willing to give it all for my education and wanted to pick the more "fun", "momentary pleasure" and while I 100% know that this was all it was at times- I also believe we're all just wired differently. If everyone was wired like me we wouldn't have any of the advances in medicine or science we have today...or probably many of the incredible works of fiction. 

And yet, at the same time, if no one was wired like me (and the many others who are wired similarly) there would be things missing as well. It has been a helpful shift for me to define how I want to measure success and then shift my choices based off of that. Especially when I start to play the comparison game in my head. It's helpful to ask myself, are there things that I would have had to sacrifice to be "further along" that I don't really want to sacrifice? Does it make it wrong that person did pursue something different from me- absolutely not! We're just different people. 

So, this year as I head into my 36th year I want to challenge myself to ensure that I'm being my version of successful. Am I doing the work that God has called me to or where He has placed me well? Am I parenting, counselling, writing, friending...wife-ing (hahaha) as well as I can with what I have available and what God has given me? Because if I am...then I can be successful anywhere...doing truly anything. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 6- Passages that have Impacted/Encouraged Me

 I have to try really hard not to begin these posts with "so". Apparently, that is my go to starter word...which is odd but true. I skipped yesterday due to the cold that was taking each member of our house captive one by one. Why is it never all at once? Sometimes this feels it would be easier than this long, drawn out affair we have been experiencing. Our youngest has had a fever for the past two days and while at first she handled it like a champ she, like all of us, only had so much to give before she just decided the whole being sick things sucks and is now over it. Anyway, I skipped yesterday and considered skipping today as well but then I felt like I wasn't really challenging myself then. So this might be another lighter post but the point was for me to write every day not write something groundbreaking every day (or ever!). So, when I looked at my list of things one that stuck out to me was Bible verses that have impacted me. I think that even if you aren't a

Starting Again

 Here we go again. I've decided (once again) that I really need and want to start writing again. How is this going to happen with one kid that won't leave my side and another that is pretty indifferent to sleep? I'm not sure but I'm going to try. I'm never entirely sure where to start when I start writing again. Do I follow prompts? Just write whatever the heck I want? A combination of the two? I've considered starting writing again without any connection to who I am...to allow myself to write more freely. Right now that thought is still on the table to be honest. I think the greater growing experience for me, however, would be to put myself in a situation where I journey let go of the pressure and expectations I put on myself for my writing to be something "spectacular" and to just write. Basically, I think what I'm going to do is an advent calendar of writing. Leading up to Christmas, for 25 days, I'm going to commit to writing something. It

Fall Excitement!

Is anyone else excited for fall?! The trees are beautiful and there is that particular smell in the air that makes me go, "Ahh..." While I am definitely a summer girl, I may have a wavering dedication to summer because of fall. Fall is beautiful, fall means pumpkin pie, fall means sweaters, fall means cozy homes filled with wonderful smells. Some of you know that I'm down in Toronto three days and two nights a week. Honestly, in some ways this has been wonderful for our marriage! But it doesn't change the fact that I miss being around Rob, and our home.  Side note: Do any of you find you have an addiction to exclamation points? I always find myself having to restrict my use of them or using :)'s to show it is a happy exclamation and not an angry one. I was going to write this post about this coming (and by coming I mean past) weekend, which for us here Canadians was all about Thanksgiving. But by the time I got around to actually writing this blog the Th